Solving for f'(g(0))g'(0) in the Inverse Function of f

• Thread starter coookiemonste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, to find the value of f'(g(0))g'(0), we need to understand that the inverse function of a function undoes whatever the function does to a number. In this case, f(x) = x^3 - x - 6 and g is its inverse function. Therefore, f(g(x)) = x, which means that the derivative of f(g(x)) is 1. This is because the derivative of the original function x^3 - x - 6 is simply 3x^2 - 1, and since the derivative of an inverse function is just the reciprocal of the original function's derivative, we can write the equation as [f(g(x))]'
coookiemonste

Homework Statement

If f(x)=x^3-x-6 and g is the inverse function of f.
what is f'(g(0))g'(0)?
the answer is 1...but I am not sure how to get that.

Homework Equations

[f(g(x))]'=f'g(x)*g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

i wasnt quite sure, but i assumed g(x)=1/(x^3-x-6)
^is this assumption right?
then f'(x)=3x^2-1
i also set f(x)=0 to find x=2.
but for g(0) i get -1/6
so for f'(g(0))g'(0)= i get -1(-1/6)*(-1) = -1/6
but this is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
An inverse function can be found by switching the positions of the x and y variables of a function and (to put it in true function form) solving for y.

For example, if we have

[tex]f(x) = y = 3x -1[/tex]

and we want to find the inverse of f, which we can call g, these are the steps to take:

1. Switch the positions of the x and y variables:

[tex]x = 3y - 1[/tex]

2. Solve for y:

[tex]x + 1 = 3y[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}x + \frac{1}{3} = y[/tex]

So we have,

[tex]g(x) = \frac{1}{3}x + \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Now, watch what happens if we take f(g(x)):

[tex]f(g(x)) = f(\frac{1}{3}x + \frac{1}{3})[/tex]

[tex] = 3(\frac{1}{3}x + \frac{1}{3}) - 1[/tex]

[tex] = x + 1 - 1[/tex]

[tex] = x[/tex]

Similarly, if we try g(f(x)):

[tex]g(f(x)) = g(3x -1)[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{3}(3x -1) + \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

[tex] = x - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

[tex] = x[/tex]

This happens with any function and its true inverse. If we take the composite of a function and its inverse in either directions (i.e. f(g(x)) of g(f(x)) ), we end up getting x back. Or in the case of a number, e.g. f(g(1)) = g(f(1)) = 1

An inverse function basically "undoes" whatever a function does to a number.

So, your g(x) is not correct. And you may not always be able to easily find the inverse of a function solved for y, as is true with the function you have been given.

That being said, there are a couple ways to solve your problem.

The quickest way is to try playing around with the formula you gave under "relevant equations," to see if any expression simplifies, then take it from there.

Otherwise, you can look up a formula for the derivative of an inverse function to find g'(x) by skipping right to the derivative of an inverse function without finding the inverse. It can be found in any calculus textbook.

coookiemonste said:

Homework Statement

If f(x)=x^3-x-6 and g is the inverse function of f.
what is f'(g(0))g'(0)?
the answer is 1...but I am not sure how to get that.

Homework Equations

[f(g(x))]'=f'g(x)*g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

i wasnt quite sure, but i assumed g(x)=1/(x^3-x-6)
In case it wasn't abundantly clear from what Meiso said, the inverse of f(x) is not 1/(x^3 -x - 6). This is the reciprocal of f(x), but not its inverse.
coookiemonste said:
^is this assumption right?
then f'(x)=3x^2-1
i also set f(x)=0 to find x=2.
but for g(0) i get -1/6
so for f'(g(0))g'(0)= i get -1(-1/6)*(-1) = -1/6
but this is incorrect.

so if f(g(x))=x
and [f(g(x))]'=(x)'=1
is this correct?

coookiemonste said:
so if f(g(x))=x
and [f(g(x))]'=(x)'=1
is this correct?

Yes.

coookiemonste said:
so if f(g(x))=x
and [f(g(x))]'=(x)'=1
is this correct?

Exactly right. And, sorry, I thought I was clear enough when I said,
meiso said:
So, your g(x) is not correct.

Last edited:
You were clear, but what you said was a little hard to find, being about 30 lines down in your post.

Mark44 said:
You were clear, but what you said was a little hard to find, being about 30 lines down in your post.

When a post is written in response to a user asking for homework help, I would assume that the original poster is going to read the response in its entirety (which, from his response, it seems he did), so I don't think about whether a certain item will be hard to "find" while I'm writing it.

IMO, it's better to answer the question right at the beginning, and follow it with any explanatory material.

thank you!

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. In simpler terms, it measures how much one variable is changing in relation to another variable.

2. How do you calculate a derivative?

The most common method for calculating a derivative is using the rules of differentiation, which involve finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve. This can be done using algebraic formulas or graphing techniques.

3. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are used in many fields of science and mathematics, including physics, economics, and engineering. They allow us to analyze the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about how they will change over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many real-world scenarios, such as calculating velocity and acceleration in physics, determining the optimal production level for a business, and predicting changes in stock prices in economics.

5. What are the common types of derivative problems?

Some common types of derivative problems include finding the derivative of a function, using the derivative to find maximum and minimum values, and solving related rates problems where multiple variables are changing at the same time.