• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Derivative help

• Thread starter tman1
  • Start date
i was given a problem and found that
x = (VcosA)/g*(VsinA + ((VsinA)^2 + 2gYo)^1/2)
where x is the distance
v is the speed
A is the angle
g is the force of gravity
and Yo is the height
but i am a bit lost in taking its derivative. once i do so, i need to maximize and minimize the angle. i was wondering if i could get some help

saltydog

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
tman1 said:
i was given a problem and found that
x = (VcosA)/g*(VsinA + ((VsinA)^2 + 2gYo)^1/2)
where x is the distance
v is the speed
A is the angle
g is the force of gravity
and Yo is the height
but i am a bit lost in taking its derivative. once i do so, i need to maximize and minimize the angle. i was wondering if i could get some help
Hey Tman, first write it nicely. Yea, I know you don't know LaTex yet but the prettier it is the fewer the mistakes. That's just how it is in math:

Looks like:

[tex]\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2 Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right][/tex]

Now, use the chain rule:

[tex]d(uv)=udv+vdu[/tex]

right?

I'll start it for you:

[tex]\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\frac{d}{da}\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2 Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right][/tex]

Last edited:
little more help

i understand that i must use the chain rule, but i dont know which terms are constants, for example vcosA and 2gYo. would i have to make them equal zero because of constant rule or no

saltydog

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
tman1 said:
i understand that i must use the chain rule, but i dont know which terms are constants, for example vcosA and 2gYo. would i have to make them equal zero because of constant rule or no
Tell you what, how about this: I don't know the details of your problem but for now, just assume everything other than 'a' is constant. Now, take the derivative of the expression with respect to a and work it though and see what happens.

So continuing:

[tex]\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vCos(a)+1/2\left(v^2Sin^2(a)+2gy_0)^{-1/2}(2v^2Sin(a)Cos(a))\right)\right][/tex]

i think i need alittle more guidance

ok so from this point where i have the derivative of what u gave me, i can set it equal to zero and find the maximum for the angle, or is there more that i still need to do(ie more deriving). also it would help me alot if u cud tell me where u got ur trig identies from (ie there derivatives) so i can later retry this by myself.

saltydog

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
tman1 said:
ok so from this point where i have the derivative of what u gave me, i can set it equal to zero and find the maximum for the angle, or is there more that i still need to do(ie more deriving). also it would help me alot if u cud tell me where u got ur trig identies from (ie there derivatives) so i can later retry this by myself.
That was just half of the derivative.

Tman . . . I don't wish to add complexity to this for you. So start with:

[tex]x=f(a)=\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2 Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right][/tex]

and calculate the derivative (assuming all other parameters are constants):

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{dx}{da}&=\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vCos(a)+
1/2\left(v^2Sin^2(a)+2gy_0)^{-1/2}(2v^2Sin(a)Cos(a))\right)\right] \\
&-\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right]\frac{vSin(a)}{g}
\end{align}
[/tex]

That's just the chain rule and the basic rules for differentiation for sine and cosine and other functions.

Setting that to zero and solving for a, gives an extremum which could be a maximum or minimum. However that looks difficult to solve for.

However, this does not address the specific application you're working on (like shooting a projectile in the air with an initial velocity v, initial height y0, and angle a), and then determining the angle which gives the greatest distance. Not sure though this equation could be applied to that setup.

Last edited:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
To OP:
Derivatives WITH RESPECT TO WHAT?? With respect to the equality sign, perhaps?

You have to learn to state your problems precisely, otherwise you'll end up not understanding them properly.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving