Maximizing and Minimizing Angle: Derivative Help for Distance Formula

• Thread starter tman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the derivative of a given equation with respect to the angle variable, in order to maximize and minimize the angle for a given problem. The conversation also includes suggestions on how to approach the problem, such as treating other variables as constants and using the chain rule. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that the equation may not directly apply to the specific problem at hand.
tman1
i was given a problem and found that
x = (VcosA)/g*(VsinA + ((VsinA)^2 + 2gYo)^1/2)
where x is the distance
v is the speed
A is the angle
g is the force of gravity
and Yo is the height
but i am a bit lost in taking its derivative. once i do so, i need to maximize and minimize the angle. i was wondering if i could get some help

Physics news on Phys.org
tman1 said:
i was given a problem and found that
x = (VcosA)/g*(VsinA + ((VsinA)^2 + 2gYo)^1/2)
where x is the distance
v is the speed
A is the angle
g is the force of gravity
and Yo is the height
but i am a bit lost in taking its derivative. once i do so, i need to maximize and minimize the angle. i was wondering if i could get some help

Hey Tman, first write it nicely. Yea, I know you don't know LaTex yet but the prettier it is the fewer the mistakes. That's just how it is in math:

Looks like:

[tex]\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2 Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right][/tex]

Now, use the chain rule:

[tex]d(uv)=udv+vdu[/tex]

right?

I'll start it for you:

[tex]\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\frac{d}{da}\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2 Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right][/tex]

Last edited:
little more help

i understand that i must use the chain rule, but i don't know which terms are constants, for example vcosA and 2gYo. would i have to make them equal zero because of constant rule or no

tman1 said:
i understand that i must use the chain rule, but i don't know which terms are constants, for example vcosA and 2gYo. would i have to make them equal zero because of constant rule or no

Tell you what, how about this: I don't know the details of your problem but for now, just assume everything other than 'a' is constant. Now, take the derivative of the expression with respect to a and work it though and see what happens.

So continuing:

[tex]\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vCos(a)+1/2\left(v^2Sin^2(a)+2gy_0)^{-1/2}(2v^2Sin(a)Cos(a))\right)\right][/tex]

i think i need alittle more guidance

ok so from this point where i have the derivative of what u gave me, i can set it equal to zero and find the maximum for the angle, or is there more that i still need to do(ie more deriving). also it would help me a lot if u cud tell me where u got ur trig identies from (ie there derivatives) so i can later retry this by myself.

tman1 said:
ok so from this point where i have the derivative of what u gave me, i can set it equal to zero and find the maximum for the angle, or is there more that i still need to do(ie more deriving). also it would help me a lot if u cud tell me where u got ur trig identies from (ie there derivatives) so i can later retry this by myself.

That was just half of the derivative.

Tman . . . I don't wish to add complexity to this for you. So start with:

[tex]x=f(a)=\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2 Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right][/tex]

and calculate the derivative (assuming all other parameters are constants):

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{dx}{da}&=\frac{vCos(a)}{g}\left[vCos(a)+
1/2\left(v^2Sin^2(a)+2gy_0)^{-1/2}(2v^2Sin(a)Cos(a))\right)\right] \\
&-\left[vSin(a)+\left(v^2Sin^2(a)+2gy_0\right)^{1/2}\right]\frac{vSin(a)}{g}
\end{align}
[/tex]

That's just the chain rule and the basic rules for differentiation for sine and cosine and other functions.

Setting that to zero and solving for a, gives an extremum which could be a maximum or minimum. However that looks difficult to solve for.

However, this does not address the specific application you're working on (like shooting a projectile in the air with an initial velocity v, initial height y0, and angle a), and then determining the angle which gives the greatest distance. Not sure though this equation could be applied to that setup.

Last edited:
To OP:
Derivatives WITH RESPECT TO WHAT?? With respect to the equality sign, perhaps?

You have to learn to state your problems precisely, otherwise you'll end up not understanding them properly.

1. What is the distance formula and how is it related to maximizing and minimizing angles?

The distance formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the distance between two points on a coordinate plane. It is often used in geometry and physics. When dealing with maximizing and minimizing angles, the distance formula can be used to find the shortest or longest distance between two points, which can help determine the maximum or minimum angle formed between those points.

2. How can the derivative be used to help with maximizing and minimizing angles?

The derivative is a mathematical tool used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It can be used to find the slope of a tangent line to a curve, which can help determine the maximum and minimum values of a function. In the case of maximizing and minimizing angles, the derivative can be used to find the slope of the angle formed by two intersecting lines, allowing us to determine the maximum or minimum angle.

3. What is the relationship between distance, slope, and angle in maximizing and minimizing angles?

Distance, slope, and angle are all interconnected in the process of maximizing and minimizing angles. Distance is used to determine the length between two points, slope is used to find the rate of change between those points, and angle is used to measure the amount of rotation between two intersecting lines. By using the distance formula and the derivative, we can find the slope of an angle, which can help us determine the maximum or minimum angle.

4. Can the distance formula and derivative be used for more complex shapes, such as circles or triangles?

Yes, the distance formula and derivative can be used for any shape on a coordinate plane. For circles, the distance formula can be used to find the radius, circumference, and area, while the derivative can be used to find the slope of a tangent line at any point on the circle. For triangles, the distance formula can be used to find the length of each side, and the derivative can be used to find the slope of each angle formed by the sides.

5. Are there any real-life applications for maximizing and minimizing angles using the distance formula and derivative?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for maximizing and minimizing angles using the distance formula and derivative. In engineering and architecture, these concepts are used to design structures that can withstand certain forces and angles. In physics, these concepts are used to analyze the motion of objects and determine the optimal angle for maximum distance or speed. In navigation, these concepts are used to find the shortest or fastest route between two points.