Finding the Expression for a Limit of 0 Using Derivative Definition

In summary, VietDao29 showed you how to find the limit of a derivative, and you can do it using the definition he gave. If you are still confused, look at it graphically.
ussjt
If https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk3/391484/kopko.4-prob17image1.png , find [PLAIN]https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk3/391484/kopko.4-prob17image2.png using the definition of derivative. [PLAIN]https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk3/391484/kopko.4-prob17image2.png is the limit as https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk3/391484/kopko.4-prob17image4.png of the expression (answer)
I need help with finding the expression.

The value of the limit is 0.

Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done?

f'(x0) is defined to be
[tex]f'(x_0) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0 + h) - f(x_0)}{h}[/tex]
Apply that to your function:
[tex]f'(9) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(9 + h) - f(9)}{h}[/tex]. Now, how can you do this limit?

I am just confused with the 1/2^.5 part.

I am used to seeing something like f(x)= 1/x...so that you make it 1/(9+h).

[tex]f(x) := \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] means that this function is a constant and does not depend on what x you choose.
It will return the same value (i.e, 1 / (2.5)), no matter what x is. For example:
If [tex]g(x) := \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex], then:
[tex]g(0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex],
[tex]g(7) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex],
[tex]g(9) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex],...
Do you understand? Can you solve the problem now?

And if the limit definition doesn't click, look at it graphically. A constant function is just a horizontal line, which obviously has a slope of 0.

I have looked at it graphically, but I having a hard time understanding how to make it into an expression...lim h->0 something.

thanks for all of the input, but I am still confused.

Ok. VietDao29 showed you the limit definition of a derivative. It's the following...

[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow{0}} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

Your function is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex], so I'll start you out.

[tex]f'(9)=\lim_{h\rightarrow{0}} \frac{f(9+h)-f(9)}{h}[/tex]

This is still from VietDao29's post.

What is f(9)? What is f(0)? What is f of anything? If you can answer that, you can do your limit.

Another hint is that:
[tex]\frac{f(9 + h) - f(9)}{h} = \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} - \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}}{h} = 0, \ \forall h \neq 0[/tex]
What does the above expression tell you?

thanks, I got it now. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the definition of a limit of 0 using derivative definition?

The derivative definition of a limit of 0 is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input value approaches 0. It is represented by the notation lim x→0 f(x) = L, where L is the limit of the function as x approaches 0.

2. How do you find the expression for a limit of 0 using derivative definition?

To find the expression for a limit of 0 using derivative definition, you first need to calculate the derivative of the function at x = 0. Then, you can plug in this value into the limit definition formula to find the limit at x = 0.

3. What is the significance of finding the expression for a limit of 0 using derivative definition?

Finding the expression for a limit of 0 using derivative definition is important for understanding the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also help in solving more complex mathematical problems and in analyzing the behavior of functions in various situations.

4. What are some common techniques for solving a limit of 0 using derivative definition?

Some common techniques for solving a limit of 0 using derivative definition include using the limit definition formula, applying properties of limits, using L'Hopital's rule, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the expression for a limit of 0 using derivative definition?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding the expression for a limit of 0 using derivative definition. For example, it can be used in physics to analyze the motion of an object at a specific point in time, or in economics to study the behavior of a market at a specific price point.