Solving Derivative of f(x) = 1/2x^2 + 3x^3 - Is My Answer Correct?

• Thread starter VBoy336
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the process for solving the derivative of f(x) = 1/2x^2 + 3x^3 is to use the power rule for each term, checking the answer by taking the derivative again or plugging in values for x. The product rule cannot be used for this function, but there is a shortcut called the power rule for finding the derivative of polynomial functions. The constant term does not affect the derivative in this case.
VBoy336
I'm having problem

finding derivative:
f(x) = 1/2x^2 + 3x^3

i know there is a shortcut way to derivative, but i did the long way and got

9x^2 - x

is that correct? if not, can you tell me the step to solve it? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're trying to find the derivative, you use the power rule by bringing down the power and then taking the power that the variable was raised to and subtracting one...I hope that makes sense...

ok thanks alot,

1. What is the process for solving the derivative of f(x) = 1/2x^2 + 3x^3?

The process for solving the derivative of f(x) = 1/2x^2 + 3x^3 is to first use the power rule for both terms. This means multiplying the coefficient by the exponent, subtracting 1 from the exponent, and then bringing down the variable. The final result will be the derivative of the function.

2. How do I know if my answer for the derivative is correct?

To check if your answer for the derivative is correct, you can take the derivative again and see if it matches the original function. Another method is to plug in a few values for x and see if the derivative and the original function give the same value.

3. Can I use the product rule to find the derivative of this function?

No, you cannot use the product rule to find the derivative of f(x) = 1/2x^2 + 3x^3. The product rule is used for functions that are multiplied together, while this function is a sum of terms.

4. Is there a shortcut for finding the derivative of polynomial functions?

Yes, there is a shortcut for finding the derivative of polynomial functions called the power rule. This rule states that the derivative of a term with a variable raised to a power is the coefficient multiplied by the exponent, with the exponent reduced by 1 and the variable brought down.

5. Does the constant term affect the derivative of a polynomial function?

No, the constant term does not affect the derivative of a polynomial function. The power rule only applies to terms with a variable raised to a power, so the constant term can be disregarded when finding the derivative.