Derivative Help: Defining ((d/dx)-1)y & Proving Property

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a differential operator and how to use it to solve a specific function. The differential operator is defined as T = (d/dx) - 1, and it is a linear operator. To prove its properties, the speaker needs to know which definition to use. The conversation also mentions that using Matlab can help with solving functions using the differential operator.
annoymage

Homework Statement

let y be the function of x

how do i define ((d/dx)-1)y
is it dy/dx -y ? if so, which definition should i know to proof this property? help help

Physics news on Phys.org
You have defined a differential operator:
[tex]
T=\frac{d}{dx}-1
[/tex]
It is a linear operator, this is clear but it can be proven.

differential operator thanks, I'm looking forward to that, but before that,

what should i do to resolve ((d/dx)-1)x^2

how to do that?

2x-x^2?

Correct! Your differential operator says that given a function I should differentiate it and take away the original function.

Mat

1. What is the definition of ((d/dx)-1)y?

The notation ((d/dx)-1)y, also written as (d/dx)^-1y, represents the inverse of the derivative operator with respect to x acting on y. This means that applying ((d/dx)-1)y to a function f(x) will result in the original function y, i.e. ((d/dx)-1)y[f(x)] = y.

2. How is ((d/dx)-1)y different from the regular derivative operator?

The regular derivative operator, d/dx, gives us the rate of change of a function y with respect to x. On the other hand, ((d/dx)-1)y gives us the original function y when applied to any function f(x). Additionally, while d/dx is a linear operator, ((d/dx)-1)y is a non-linear operator.

3. Can ((d/dx)-1)y be applied to any function?

Yes, ((d/dx)-1)y can be applied to any function that is differentiable with respect to x. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

4. What is the property that needs to be proved for ((d/dx)-1)y?

The property that needs to be proved for ((d/dx)-1)y is that it is the inverse of the derivative operator, meaning that ((d/dx)-1)y[d/dx[f(x)]] = f(x) for any differentiable function f(x).

5. How is the property for ((d/dx)-1)y proved?

The property for ((d/dx)-1)y can be proved using the definition of an inverse operator. This involves showing that the composition of the derivative operator and ((d/dx)-1)y results in the identity operator, which returns the original function. This can be done using the chain rule and the definition of the derivative.