Simplifying the Derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x)

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of the expression log(sqrt(1+logx)-sinx) and the use of the chain rule in solving it. The final answer is (1-2x)*sqrt(1+logxcosx)/2x*sqrt(1+logx)*sqrt(1+logx-sinx).
courtrigrad
Hello all:

I need help in finding the derivative of:

log( sqrt(1+ log x) - sin x )

I know that derivative of log x is 1/x.

1/ sqrt(1 + logx) - sin x ) = sqrt(1+log x) + sin x / ( 1 + log x - sin ^2 x)

Then I found derivative of inside expression and multiplied with the previous derivative. I get something almost the same as the answer, but I can't seem to simplify it.

The answer is:

(1- 2x)* sqrt(1 + log x cos x) / 2x * sqrt(1 + log x)* sqrt(1 + log x - sin x)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the chain rule, if you make u = (sqrt(1+logx) - sinx), then the derivative will be
1/u * du/dx, where du/dx is:
1/2sqrt(1+logx) * 1/x - cosx

I hope this will help. When you are derivating sqrt(1+logx), you have to use again the cahin rule, so it will be sqrt(v), and the derivative will be:
1/2sqrt(v) * v´

Hi there!

To simplify the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x), we can follow these steps:

Step 1: Rewrite the expression as log(1+log x)^1/2 - log(sin x)

Step 2: Use the chain rule to find the derivative of log(1+log x)^1/2. The derivative of log(u) is 1/u * u'. In this case, u = (1+log x)^1/2 and u' = (1/2)(1+log x)^(-1/2) * (1/x). So, the derivative of log(1+log x)^1/2 is (1/2)(1+log x)^(-1/2) * (1/x).

Step 3: Use the chain rule again to find the derivative of log(sin x). The derivative of log(u) is 1/u * u'. In this case, u = sin x and u' = cos x. So, the derivative of log(sin x) is cos x / sin x.

Step 4: Combine the derivatives from steps 2 and 3 to get the final answer. The final answer is (1/2)(1+log x)^(-1/2) * (1/x) - cos x / sin x.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the simplified derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x)?

The simplified derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x) is (1/(2x(1+log x)))-cos x.

2. How do you simplify the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x)?

To simplify the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x), you can use the chain rule and the product rule to break down the expression and then apply the derivative rules for log and trigonometric functions.

3. Can the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x) be simplified further?

No, the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x) cannot be simplified further as it is in its most simplified form.

4. What is the domain of the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x)?

The domain of the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x) is all real numbers except for values of x that make the expression undefined, such as x=0 or x=-1.

5. What is the significance of simplifying the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x)?

Simplifying the derivative of log(sqrt(1+log x)-sin x) allows us to more easily find the rate of change of the original function and make predictions about its behavior. It also helps us understand the relationship between the original function and its derivative.