How to Find a and b for a Derivative at 1?

• Thread starter Nguyen Thanh Nam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of a and b for a given function in order for it to have a derivative at 1. The condition for the graph to be continuous at 1 is given as a+b=0. The conversation then moves on to discussing the derivative, with one person getting stuck at a certain point. Another person offers advice on how to approach the problem and suggests using the basic formula for a derivative. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the derivative values and the overall objective of the problem.
Nguyen Thanh Nam
Ok, they tell me tofind a and b so that the function:
f(x)= *Root(2-x^2) if -root(2)<=x<=1
*x^2 + ax + b if x>1
has derivative at 1
I got that the condition for this graph to be continuous at 1 is a+b=0
And I moved to check out the derivative stuff:
When x->1+, the derivative is 0
But when 1->1-, igot stuck:
lim (x->1-) of [f(x)-f(1)]/(x-1) = lim (x->1-) of (x^2+ax+b-1)/(x-1). So how should I move on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equate the lateral limits for the derivative and get another relation between "a" and "b".
Then use the 2 equations found to determine "a" and "b".

Daniel.

Nguyen Thanh Nam said:
Ok, they tell me tofind a and b so that the function:
f(x)= *Root(2-x^2) if -root(2)<=x<=1
*x^2 + ax + b if x>1
has derivative at 1
I got that the condition for this graph to be continuous at 1 is a+b=0
And I moved to check out the derivative stuff:
When x->1+, the derivative is 0
But when 1->1-, igot stuck:
lim (x->1-) of [f(x)-f(1)]/(x-1) = lim (x->1-) of (x^2+ax+b-1)/(x-1). So how should I move on?

How did u compute those derivatives??Post your work.My advice from the previous post remains valid as soon as u dig those derivatives rightly.

Daniel.

OK.
We'll check when x>1:
lim (x->1+) of [f(x)-f(1)]/(x-1) = lim (x->1+) of [x^2+ax+b-1]/(x-1)] (from the function at my first post, I got that when x>1, f(x)=x^2+ax+b)

Come on, anybody help me out!

Last edited:
Do you really need to use the basic formula for a derivative? You should know, by the time you are doing a problem like this, that the derivative of x2+ax+b is
2x+ b.
That tells you that the derivative, as you approach 1 from the right, is 2+ b, not 0.

The derivative of [itex]\sqrt{2- x^2}= (2- x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{2}(2-x^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}(-2x)[/itex] which is -1 at x= 1. That is, the derivative, as you approach from the left is -1. In order that f be differentiable at x= 1, you must have 2+ b= -1.

Yup, my class is at that lession, tis is an apllication. So, I didn't really understand you.:-) But I'll try to read it more.

What is a "derivative"?

A derivative is a financial instrument that derives its value from an underlying asset, such as stocks, bonds, or commodities.

Why is "Derivative: in trouble." a common phrase?

This phrase is commonly used to describe a situation where a derivative investment has lost value, causing financial trouble for the investor.

What are the risks associated with derivatives?

Derivatives are complex financial instruments and carry a high level of risk. Some of the risks include potential for large losses, counterparty risk, and liquidity risk.

How can investors protect themselves from derivative losses?

Investors can protect themselves by thoroughly understanding the risks associated with derivatives, diversifying their investments, and using hedging strategies.

What can cause a derivative to be "in trouble"?

A derivative can be in trouble due to a variety of factors such as market volatility, changes in interest rates, or unexpected events that affect the underlying asset. It can also be in trouble if the investor does not properly manage the risks associated with the derivative.