1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative notation

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is it correct to say that if "y" is a function of x, then

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    Yes (assuming x is your only variable).
  4. Mar 15, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

Those are two different ways of writing one thing.

The y' notation is sometimes called Newton notation (although he used a dot instead of a prime), and the other is called Leibniz notation.
  5. Mar 15, 2010 #4
    I think I may have answered my own question with this next one, but I would like to get a confirmation.

I asked the question above because in my math methods in physics class, the tutorials we use and the professor often algebraically manipulate the dy's and dx's in equations involving y'.

I am reviewing scale invariance and its applications to FODE's.

After proving the following equation is scale invariant, I am to solve for the general solution.

After I have shown it is scale invariant, I use the substitution y=vx to obtain:

In order to get to the point above, I note that:

Here is where my question comes in. I originally looked at this problem by stating:

This is the wrong simplification

As far as I know, v is a number not a function of x. I believe I understand that this method is used to make an inhomogeneous equation separable. How do I avoid making the wrong simplification?

I think the answer is that I need to recognize that I must have a "dv" and a "dx" in order to solve the equation in a separable manner, otherwise I would have had:

Does that make any sense at all? Thanks for replying.
  6. Mar 15, 2010 #5
    Haha...nevermind. It is the same thing, just not carried out all the way through.

dy/dx=dv........dy=dv(dx)= vdx+xdv.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook