1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of 112 - xlnx^3

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In this equation, how do you know when you would use the product rule for the second part, and when you wouldn't?

2. Relevant equations

112 - xlnx^3

3. The attempt at a solution

I.e. with product rule
    (-1)(lnx^3) + (-x)((3)(1/x)
    or without?
    (-3x)(1/x)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2
    If you want to find the derivative of a function f(x) that can be written as g(x)h(x) you need to use the product rule unless you know the derivative of f directly. You don't know the derivative of f(x) directly (at least I don't), but you should be able to calculate the derivative of both g(x) and h(x). However, you should note that for the natural log part, if I'm interpreting your notation correctly, you need to use the chain rule as well to find the derivative.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. Dec 3, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer depends on whether you mean x*ln(x^3) or x*(ln(x))^3. You use the product rule either way. The answers are different. But you still use the product rule.

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't you mean the product rule? g(x)h(x) is a product, so the product rule would be applicable.

6. Dec 4, 2012 #5
    Absolutely, thanks for catching that. Typo on my part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook