Derivative of 4^x: My Exam & Answer Explained

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the derivative of 4^x, with different methods being used and the final answer being (4^x)ln4. The importance of correctly applying the chain rule was also mentioned.
whateva
On my exam, we had to find the derivative of 4^x. This is what I did
Y=4^x
lny=xln4
y=e^xln4
and then finding the derivative for that I got, (xe^(xln4))/4
My professor said that it was wrong and even after I told her what I did to get the answer. She told me the answer was (4^x)ln4 . Which I know it is but I think this is still equivalent to my answer. Was I right? Regardless I still don't get the point :(

Physics news on Phys.org
take the derivative of [itex] \ln(y)[/itex] and then substitute [itex] y [/itex] back into the result to get the professors answer...

whateva said:
y=e^xln4
and then finding the derivative for that I got, (xe^(xln4))/4

How did you get that as the derivative?

I did the chain rule, so I got x*1/4*e^xln4 . Which I now realize is wrong, it should've been x*1/4+ln4*e^xln4. But was I right with the y=e^xln4?

whateva said:
I did the chain rule, so I got x*1/4*e^xln4 . Which I now realize is wrong, it should've been x*1/4+ln4*e^xln4. But was I right with the y=e^xln4?

You're still doing it wrong but yes ##y=e^{xln4}## is correct

$$y = 4^x$$

$$ \ln(y) = \ln(4^x) = x\ln(4)$$

$$\frac{dy}{y} = dx \ln(4)$$

$$\frac{dy}{dx} = y \ln(4) = x^4 \ln(4)$$

proves the instructors answer and no need in taking exponentials...

You mean to say that the final answer is:
dy/dx = yln(4) = (4^x)ln(4)
Right?

Also, why is derivative of ln(4) not evaluated as 1/4?

Anora said:
You mean to say that the final answer is:
dy/dx = yln(4) = (4^x)ln(4)
Right?

yes, typo...

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope of a function at a given point.

2. What is the derivative of 4^x?

The derivative of 4^x is ln(4)*4^x. This can be derived using the power rule of differentiation, where the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1).

3. Why is the derivative of 4^x important?

The derivative of 4^x is important because it helps us understand the rate of change of exponential functions. It is also used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve real-world problems.

4. How do you explain the derivative of 4^x using the limit definition?

The limit definition of a derivative states that the derivative of a function f(x) at a point x=a is equal to the limit of the difference quotient as h approaches 0. In the case of 4^x, the limit definition would be f'(a) = lim(h→0) (4^(a+h) - 4^a)/h. Simplifying this expression using the laws of exponents will give us ln(4)*4^a, which is the same as the formula derived using the power rule.

5. How can I use the derivative of 4^x to solve problems?

You can use the derivative of 4^x to find the slope of a curve at a specific point, to find the equation of a tangent line, to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, and to find the rate of change of a quantity over time. It is also useful in optimization problems, where you need to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.