1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a Cross Product

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that you are given differentiable function f(t) and g(t). Find a formula for the
    derivative of the cross product u(f(t)) x v(g(t)).

2. Relevant equations
    d/dt(u(t) x v(t)) = (u'(t) x v(t) + u(t) x v'(t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So in this case I was thinking that you would just substitute f(t) and g(t) where t would be in the regular equation, so it would be U'(f(t)) x v(g(t)) + u(f(t)) x v'(g(t)), for the equation, but I have a feeling that thats not right just because it seems too simple.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

u'(f(t)) = d u(f(t))/f(t) and similar result for v'(g(t)).
    What you want is d/dt ( u(f(t)) × v(g(t)) ), so you will have to use chain rule.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3
    So then the equation would be U'(du(f(t))/f(t)) x V(g(t)) + U(g(t)) x V'(du(g(t))/g(t)) x U(f(t)) ?

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

No, start by applying the chain rule to find $$\frac{d}{dt} u(f(t))$$

6. Sep 9, 2013 #5
    Oh okay, so that is u'(f(t))(f'(t)) when using chain rule. So you said u'(f(t)) = d u(f(t))/f(t), so then would I divide what i got by the chain rule and divide it by f(t) and that would be my u'(f(t))?

7. Sep 9, 2013 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes.

You need to find $$\frac{d}{dt} \left(u(f(t)) \times v(g(t))\right) = \frac{d}{dt} u(f(t)) \times v(g(t)) + u(f(t)) \times \frac{d}{dt} v(g(t))$$

You correctly found ##\frac{d}{dt} u(f(t))##. Now find ##\frac{d}{dt} v(g(t))## and substitute in.

What I should have wrote is u'(f(t)) ##\equiv## d u(f(t))/f(t), these two expressions denote the derivative of u with respect to f(t).

8. Sep 9, 2013 #7
    So the final equation for the question would be u'(f(t))(f'(t)) x v(g(t)) + u(f(t)) x v'(f(t)(f'(t)) ?

9. Sep 9, 2013 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

Check the last term again. v is a function of g(t), not f(t).

10. Sep 9, 2013 #9
    Oops silly error. u'(f(t))(f'(t)) x v(g(t)) + u(f(t)) x v'(g(t)(g'(t)) correct?

11. Sep 9, 2013 #10

CAF123

Gold Member

Correct :smile:

12. Sep 9, 2013 #11
    Thank you a bunch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted