What is the Derivative of a Fraction with a Square Root in the Denominator?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the peak of a function and differentiating it. The person made a mistake in their derivative and factorization. They were reminded of the correct method.
Karol
I am new to this forum, i don't know if it's here i should post this simple question.
I have to find the peak of the function:
##\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}(x^2+R^2)}=\frac{x}{(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}}##
I differentiate:
##\left( \frac{x}{(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}} \right)'=\frac{(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}+x\left( \frac{3}{2}(x^2+R^2)^{3\2}\cdot 2x \right)}{(x^2+R^2)^3}##
Only the numerator:
##(x^2+R^2)^{1/2}\left[ (x^2+R^2)^3+3x^2 \right]##
When i equal it to 0 i get, as one possibility:
##(x^2+R^2)^3=-3x^2##
And it's not good, since x has a value.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
##(x^2+R^2)^{1/2}\left[ (x^2+R^2)^3+3x^2 \right]##
You've factorized incorrectly here.

Also, your derivative is incorrect. Remember u'v - v'u, as opposed to +.

Last edited:
Thanks

1. What is the formula for finding the derivative of a fraction?

The formula for finding the derivative of a fraction is (f(x))' = (g(x)h'(x) - h(x)g'(x))/(h(x))^2, where f(x) is the numerator function, g(x) is the denominator function, and h(x) is the denominator function squared.

2. How do you find the derivative of a fraction using the quotient rule?

To find the derivative of a fraction using the quotient rule, you follow the formula (f(x))' = (g(x)h'(x) - h(x)g'(x))/(h(x))^2, where f(x) is the numerator function, g(x) is the denominator function, and h(x) is the denominator function squared. Then, you find the derivatives of both the numerator and denominator functions and plug them into the formula.

3. Can you use the power rule to find the derivative of a fraction?

No, the power rule can only be used to find the derivative of monomial functions. When finding the derivative of a fraction, you must use the quotient rule.

4. What is the difference between the derivative of a fraction and the derivative of a polynomial?

The main difference is that the derivative of a fraction involves using the quotient rule, while the derivative of a polynomial involves using the power rule. Additionally, the derivative of a fraction will result in a rational function, while the derivative of a polynomial will result in another polynomial.

5. How do you find the derivative of a fraction with a variable in the denominator?

If the variable is in the denominator, you can use the quotient rule to find the derivative. However, you may need to simplify the expression first by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the variable. Then, you can follow the same steps as finding the derivative of a regular fraction using the quotient rule.