1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a logarithm

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I have to calculate the derivative of [itex]y = log_x (x+1)[/itex] so I used the formula of the derivative of a n-base logarithm and I get [itex]y' = 1/((x+1)logx)[/itex] but that's wrong, why ?

Thanks

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]log_a x = 1/(xlog(a))[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use that log_a {b} = ln{b}/ln{a}.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3
    But why that formula doesn't work ?

5. Dec 3, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, just raise your formula to the power a and use that a^{something} = e^{ln a (something)}

6. Dec 3, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's wrong because you have assumed a formula, [tex]d(log_a(x))/dx= 1/(x ln(a))[/tex], that is true for constant base, is also true when the base is a variable. The fact that it is a variable means that base adds its own "variation" to the derivative.

I would start with [itex]y= log_x(x+ 1)[/itex], then write [itex]x+ 1= x^y[/itex]. Now differentiate both sides with respect to x: [itex]1= x^{-y}ln(x)(dy/dx)+ x[/itex] so that [itex]dy/dx= (1- x)x^y/ln(x)[/itex]

7. Dec 3, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

so now you would have y=ln(x+1)/ln(x) and so you'd use the product rule on y = ln(x+1) * (1/ln(x)).

8. Dec 3, 2013 #7
    So why the base changing formula is valid for a variable base too ?

9. Dec 4, 2013 #8

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It's valid for any base logarithm the fact that in your example it's a variable base doesn't matter. What's nice is that it take the variable base out of the picture and makes your problem somewhat simpler.

10. Dec 5, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why wouldn't it be? Each value of a variable is a number so what ever is true for a number is true for each value of the variable. It is only when you are doing things that involve the way the variable changes, such as taking a derivative or an integral, that you have to take into account that it is an integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted