Derivative of a vector function

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of taking the derivative of a vector in quadratic form. The formula for this is given and it is shown that the second line of the formula can be simplified to the third line by treating it as a scalar quantity. However, in index notation, it is shown that this simplification is not completely accurate due to dimensional inconsistency.
Lucid Dreamer
Hi,

I am reading through a book called "Matrix Differential Calculus" by Magnus and Neudecker. They go through taking the derivative of a vector in quadratic form that I need help with.

For [itex] \vec{x} [/itex] being a vector and A being a constant square matrix
[tex] \frac {d(\vec{x}^TA\vec{x})} {d\vec{x}} [/tex]
[tex]= \frac {d\vec{x}^T}{d\vec{x}}A\vec{x} + \vec{x}^TA\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}} [/tex]
[tex]= (\frac {d\vec{x}^T}{d\vec{x}}A\vec{x})^T + \vec{x}^TA\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}} {?}[/tex]
[tex]= \vec{x}^TA^T\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}} + \vec{x}^TA\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}} [/tex]
[tex]= \vec{x}^T(A+A^T)\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {d(\vec{x}^TA\vec{x})} {d\vec{x}}=\vec{x}^T(A+A^T) [/tex]

I don't understand how one can go from the second line to the third line

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because [itex] \frac {d\vec{x}^T}{d\vec{x}}A\vec{x} [/itex] is a scalar quantity.

b17m4p said:
It's because [itex] \frac {d\vec{x}^T}{d\vec{x}}A\vec{x} [/itex] is a scalar quantity.

I don't see how it is a scalar quantity. We proved that for [itex] \vec{y}=A\vec{x}, \frac {d\vec{y}}{d\vec{x}}=A [/itex] using the definition [itex] \frac {d\vec{y}}{d\vec{x}}=[(\frac {d}{d\vec{x}})^T (\vec{y}^T)]^T [/itex]. This yields a matrix for [itex] \frac {d\vec{y}}{d\vec{x}} [/itex] and does as well for [itex] \frac {d\vec{x}^T}{d\vec{x}}[/itex].

This is the site that I am looking at
http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~ross/Documents/VectorDeriv.html

Oh, yeah sorry you're right. I don't know what I was thinking.

Well you could write it out in index notation

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left( x_j x_k A_{jk}\right) = \frac{\partial x_j}{\partial x_i} x_k A_{jk} + x_j\frac{\partial x_k}{x_i} A_{jk}[/tex]
[tex] = \delta_{ji} x_k A_{jk} + x_j \delta_{ki} A_{jk}[/tex]
[tex] = x_k A_{ik} + x_j A_{ji} [/tex]
[tex] = x_k A_{ik} + x_k A_{ki} [/tex]
[tex] = \left( \bf{A} + \bf{A}^T\right)x[/tex]

Yeah. that does make sense, thanks. But does anybody know why my original line of thought is wrong?

The dimensional inconsistency is really in the second line, where one term is nx1 and the other 1xn. It almost seems to me like you'd have to write
[tex] \frac {d(\vec{x}^TA\vec{x})} {d\vec{x}} [/tex]
[tex]= \frac {d\vec{x}^T}{d\vec{x}}A\vec{x} + \left(\vec{x}^TA\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}}\right)^T [/tex]
[tex]= \left((\frac {d\vec{x}^T}{d\vec{x}}A\vec{x})^T + \vec{x}^TA\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}}\right)^T[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\vec{x}^TA^T\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}} + \vec{x}^TA\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}}\right)^T [/tex]
[tex]= \left(\vec{x}^T(A+A^T)\frac {d\vec{x}}{d\vec{x}}\right)^T [/tex]
[tex] = (A + A^T)\vec{x}[/tex]

1. What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more inputs and outputs a vector as its result. It is commonly used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. What is the derivative of a vector function?

The derivative of a vector function is a new vector function that represents the rate of change of the original function at a given point. It is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the original function and has a magnitude equal to the slope of the function at that point.

3. How is the derivative of a vector function calculated?

The derivative of a vector function is calculated by taking the derivative of each component of the vector separately. This means finding the derivative of each function that makes up the vector and then combining them into a new vector using the same order and operations.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the derivative of a vector function?

The physical interpretation of the derivative of a vector function is the instantaneous rate of change of the original function at a given point. This can represent physical quantities such as acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity.

5. How is the derivative of a vector function used in real-world applications?

The derivative of a vector function is used in many real-world applications, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as the motion of objects in space or the flow of fluids. It is also used in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum of a function is important.