Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a zeta function

1. Apr 2, 2006 #1
    Hello,
    I was trying recently to find a derivative of a zeta function but finally I failed. Can anyone show me a way to find it, I'm more interested in the way of finding it rather than clear aprox. solution. Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2006 #2
    If Re > 1 then,

[tex]\zeta(s) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-s}[/tex]

Can't we just differentiate term by term?

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s} k^{-s} = -k^{-s} \log k[/tex]

Then we have:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s} \zeta(s) = -\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-s} \log k[/tex]

If Re <= 1 then we could use analytic continuation or we could use an integral definition for the zeta function.

4. Apr 3, 2006 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiating term by term is valid, the Dirichlet series is absolutely convergent in any right half plane Re(s)>=1+e, where e>0. You can differentiate the usual functional equation to get involving the derivative, though it has more terms than the usual one.

The same method of analytic continuation for zeta via Euler-Maclaurin summation will work here as well for example, if you're after an expression you'd like to numerically work with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?