1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of an equation

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find dy/dx in terms of x and y

2. Relevant equations

x^2 + y^2 + ln(2) = xy

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure I did it right, but I am wondering if I was supposed to take the derivative of everything:

2x + 2y = 1

Is that the correct derivative? If so, then I'm good to go...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2
    ln(2) and xy can be derived as well

4. Aug 15, 2007 #3
    Didn't I already derive xy? It's 1 right?

And isn't ln(2) a constant?

5. Aug 15, 2007 #4
    xy = product rule ... are you doing implicit/explicit differentiation? y' if you are.

ln(2) ... i forgot, been a while since i've taken Calculus

6. Aug 15, 2007 #5
    It just says: "Find dy/dx"

So, OK, let me correct the dy/dx xy:

so it's y + x

Now, can the answer be written thus:

x + y = 1 ??

And would I have to write it like this:

dy/dx x+y = 1 dy/dx

7. Aug 15, 2007 #6
    Where is this "1" coming from? And that still isn't the correct derivative of xy, you need to use the product rule. What is the derivative of y with respect to x?

8. Aug 15, 2007 #7
    have you learned the product rule?

f(x)g(x) = f'(x)g(x) + g'(x)f(x)

9. Aug 15, 2007 #8
    You need to take partial derivatives, and in the process of doing this, you will get dy/dx 's in your equation. Then group like terms and solve for dy/dx. Have you learned about partial derivatives? The product rule mention above will be helpful in the process, as well.

10. Aug 15, 2007 #9
    Alright hold up.

11. Aug 15, 2007 #10
    I'd imagine this problm is showing up in the context of a calulus one class after a lesson on implicit differentiation, hence the original poster has probably never encountered partial derivatives before, and has no reason at all to find them for this problem, I don't understand why you think he needs to take partial derivatives.

12. Aug 15, 2007 #11
    Crap, you're right, I made a typo. I meant to type implicit, not partial. Apologies.

13. Aug 15, 2007 #12
    Not to be nitpicky, but I think what rocophysics meant was
    (fg)'(x)=f'(x)g(x) + g'(x)f(x)

I don't go looking to correct peoples' mistakes, however I know how difficult learning new notations can be. If we all start out on the same page, it will be easier down the road.

Casey

14. Aug 15, 2007 #13
    The thing that I'm not getting is how to get from

2x + 2y + ln2 = xy

to

d/dx (2x + 2y + ln2) = xy

and what to do after that, and what to do with the other side of the equation...

15. Aug 15, 2007 #14
    Can someone show me a small example of how to do these derivatives?

16. Aug 15, 2007 #15
    If you take the derivative with respect to x of the left hand side of the equation, you have to take it of the right hand side, too.

However, simply writing d/dx on the left side there isn't enough. You need to take the derivative with respect to x to each of the summands on the left side (and, of course, the right side of the equation too).

For instance, the derivative w.r.t. x of [tex]5x^3[/tex] would be [tex]15x^2(\frac{dx}{dx})=15x^2.[/tex]
    The derivative w.r.t. x of [tex]4y^3[/tex], however would be [tex]12y^2(\frac{dx}{dy})[/tex]. The [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex] remains in this case.

You have learned about implicit differentiation, correct?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  17. Aug 15, 2007 #16
    Let's start over. You are being asked to implicitly differentiate the function
    [tex]x^2+y^2+ln(2)=xy[/tex]

Now how about an easier one to start. Can you try to implicitly differentiate
    [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex] with respect to x?

18. Aug 15, 2007 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want d/dx(x^2 + y^2 + ln(2)) = d/dx(xy). Split this into four derivatives and I'm sure anyone here will jump on any one you get wrong.

19. Aug 15, 2007 #18
    Yeah, I have. But I suck at life.

So what about this for starters:

d/dx (x^2 + y^2 + ln2) = (xy) d/dx

would I then do:

2 + 2y (d/dx) + 0 = xy d/dx

???

20. Aug 15, 2007 #19

[tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex]

2x + y^2 = 1

?

21. Aug 15, 2007 #20
    And what about finding dy/dx in terms of x AND y?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?