Derivative of an expoential within an exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of an exponential within an exponential using the chain rule and substitution. The correct answer is determined to be 4e^(4x) times e^(e^(4x)). The conversation also briefly mentions how to use "tex" tags to type in equations.
sprint
[SOLVED] derivative of an expoential within an exponential

help. i need help on finding the derivative of an exponential within an exponential

Homework Statement

d/dx of e^(e^4x)

Homework Equations

d/dx of e^(e^4x)

The Attempt at a Solution

d/dx of e^(e^4x)

i don't know how to attempt this cause the function I am interested is in the power of e

Physics news on Phys.org
We know that the derivative of an exponential is simply the exponential times the derivative of power term, right?

[tex] \frac{d}{du} e^u = e^uu' [/tex]

You're going to have to apply the chain rule.

Does that help?

hotcommodity said:
We know that the derivative of an exponential is simply the exponential times the derivative of power term, right?

You're going to have to apply the chain rule.

Does that help?

i think we are not looking at the same problem. my problem is an exponential within an exponential

d/dx e^(e^4x)

It's not the exact equation that you need to apply, but that's where you start. If I let [tex] u = e^{4x} [/tex], then I must first find the derivative of [tex] e^u [/tex].

I know [tex] \frac{d}{du} e^u = e^uu' [/tex].

So you know what "u" is, now you must find the derivative of "u" and plug it into the above equation.

oooooh.

i see. i guess just use substitution letting u = e^(4x)

by any chance, is the correct answer 4e^(4x) times e^(4x) = 4e^(8x)

?

Not quite, you want to think of "u" as separate from everything else and only plug it in at the end. If [tex] u = e^{4x} [/tex], what's the derivative, u' ?

thats exactly what i did. i made "u" separate.

and the derivative of u is 4e^(4x), to answer your question.

Right, so you'd have [tex] 4e^{e^{4x}}e^{4x}[/tex]. I didn't see you type in the [tex] e^{e^{4x}} [/tex] part.

wow. totally confusing.

but i think the answer is what i stated earlier...

4e^(4x) times e^(4x)

i get this by sticking to the basics and using the chain rule and substitution

Last edited:
I'm not trying to confuse you, haha, but I'd hope that you walk away from this understanding what's going on. Let's say I wanted to find the derivative of [tex] e^{e^x}[/tex]. I'd use the chain rule once again letting [tex] u = e^x [/tex]. So I'd have:

Find u':

[tex] u' = e^x * 1 [/tex]

And plug u and u' into the first equation to get the derivative:

[tex] e^{e^x}*e^x*1 [/tex]

Right?

check it. i was wrong. the answer should be

4e^(4x) times e^(e^(4x))

which is

u' times e^u

via the chainrule

hotcommodity said:
I'm not trying to confuse you, haha, but I'd hope that you walk away from this understanding what's going on. Let's say I wanted to find the derivative of [tex] e^{e^x}[/tex]. I'd use the chain rule once again letting [tex] u = e^x [/tex]. So I'd have:

Find u':

[tex] u' = e^x * 1 [/tex]

And plug u and u' into the first equation to get the derivative:

[tex] e^{e^x}*e^x*1 [/tex]

Right?

i follow you. you are right.

and how do you type in the equations like that? it looks clean...

Haha, you just use the "tex" tags. You can click on the equation itself to see how you would type it in. I think there's a tutorial somewhere here on the site.

ok. thanks. lol.

You're quite welcome :)

1. What is the derivative of an exponential within an exponential?

The derivative of an exponential within an exponential is the product of the two exponential functions multiplied by the natural logarithm of the base of the outer exponential. In other words, if the function is f(x) = eg(x), where g(x) is another exponential function, then the derivative is f'(x) = eg(x) * g'(x) * ln(e).

2. How do you find the derivative of an exponential within an exponential?

To find the derivative of an exponential within an exponential, you can use the chain rule. First, take the derivative of the outer exponential function, leaving the inner exponential function unchanged. Then, multiply it by the derivative of the inner exponential function and the natural logarithm of the base of the outer exponential.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of an exponential within an exponential?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = ex2. Using the chain rule, we first take the derivative of the outer exponential, which is ex2. Then, we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2x, and the natural logarithm of the base of the outer exponential, which is ln(e). This gives us the derivative f'(x) = 2xex2.

4. Why is it important to know how to find the derivative of an exponential within an exponential?

Knowing how to find the derivative of an exponential within an exponential is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions that involve multiple exponential functions. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, biology, and finance.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the derivative of an exponential within an exponential?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when finding the derivative of an exponential within an exponential. The first case is when the base of the outer exponential is equal to the base of the inner exponential. In this case, the derivative simplifies to f'(x) = ex * (1 + x) * ln(e). The second case is when the inner exponential is a constant. In this case, the derivative becomes f'(x) = cecx * ln(e), where c is the constant value of the inner exponential.