Derivative of an exponential

In summary: For some reason I'm reminded of a book I read long ago, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of finding a simplist f(x) that satisfies a given equation, and the importance of being able to prove oneself wrong quickly. The concept of duality is also explored, with examples from physics and the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" mentioned.
Loren Booda
Is there a simplist f(x) such that

(d/dx)(exp(2[pi]i(f(x))))=(x/c+c/x)(exp(2[pi]i(f(x)))),

where c is a constant? My thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(d/dx) [ e2π i f(x) ] = (x/c + c/x) e2π i f(x) (the given)

set y = e2π i f(x) (subtitution)

(d/dx) [y] = (x/c + c/x) y
(1/y) (dy/dx) = x/c + c/x
∫(1/y)dy = ∫(x/c + c/x)dx
ln|y| = x2/(2c) + c ln|x| + k
eln|y| = ex2/(2c) + c ln|x| + k
|y| = K ex2/(2c) + c ln|x| (extract k)
e2π i f(x) = K ex2/(2c) + c ln|x| (substitute original expression for y)

2π i f(x) = x2/(2c) + c ln|x|
ln( K e2π i f(x) ) = ln(K ex2/(2c) + c ln|x|)
f(x) = -ix2/(2π+1c) - ic ln|x|/2π + K
(same answer as hallsofivy except using 2π instead of 2. note: i forgot to "un-e" the righthand side last time)
edit: made a serious typo plus changed to reflect that i stands for sqrt(-1)

Last edited by a moderator:
suffian, yes, "i" is here the imaginary number. How does that change your result?

(d/dx)(exp(2i(f(x))))=(x/c+c/x)(exp(2i(f(x))))

(d/dx(exp(2if(x))))= 2i f'(x) exp(2if(x)) so this equation is the same as

2i f' (x)= x/c+ c/x which is a first order, non-linear differential equation for f. It is separable and can be written as

2i df= (x/c+ c/x)dx

Integrating both sides 2i f= (1/2c)x2+ c ln|x|+ D
( D is the constant of integration- an arbitrary complex number).

f(x)= (-i/4c)x2+ (-i/2)c ln|x|+ D

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Is there a simplist f(x) such that

(d/dx)(exp(2[pi]i(f(x))))=(x/c+c/x)(exp(2[pi]i(f(x)))),

where c is a constant? My thanks in advance.

Good, I'm glad that you haven't given up on your idea. Keep in mind though that it's usually faster to prove an idea wrong. A famous remark attributed to Feynman is that the job of a physicist is to prove themselves wrong as quickly as possible. No one wants to discover years later that their idea was not only doomed from the outset but that seeing this wasn't actually all that difficult, if only they'd been a little more objective. Also, don't underestimate how much can be learned by picking apart interesting, if ultimately wrong ideas, especially when they're your own.

There's always been a certain attraction in viewing things in dual terms. In physics, complementarity and more recently the dualities of string theory have given rise to all sorts of spectulation by people who like to play with abstract ideas (even if they don't understand them all that well at the time).

What is the definition of the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function is the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It measures the instantaneous slope of the function at that point.

How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, you can use the power rule or the logarithmic differentiation method. The power rule states that the derivative of an exponential function is equal to the function's base raised to the power of the function's exponent, multiplied by the natural logarithm of the base. The logarithmic differentiation method involves rewriting the exponential function in terms of natural logarithms and then using the power rule to find the derivative.

What is the importance of the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It allows us to analyze the rate of change of exponential processes and make predictions about future behavior. It also helps us to optimize exponential functions and solve problems involving exponential growth and decay.

What are some real-life applications of the derivative of an exponential function?

Some real-life applications of the derivative of an exponential function include predicting population growth, analyzing the spread of diseases, modeling compound interest, and understanding the behavior of radioactive decay. It is also used in fields such as biology, chemistry, and ecology to study natural processes that exhibit exponential growth or decay.

How is the derivative of an exponential function related to the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm is the inverse function of the exponential function, which means that the derivative of an exponential function and the natural logarithm of the function's base are closely related. In fact, the derivative of an exponential function can be written as a multiple of the natural logarithm of the function's base. This relationship is used in the logarithmic differentiation method for finding the derivative of an exponential function.