1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of an integral

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    I have a function of the form

[tex]\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt[/tex]

I'm supposed to take the derivative with respect to r of this integral. By the fundamental theorem of calculus, is the derivative not

[tex]rf(r)[/tex]

The problem being I need, for the problem to work out correctly, to have a df/dr term. So, am I mistaken in my solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2
    well, it depends on what properties does the function under the integral sign has, tf(t).
    THere are some conditions which this function has to fulfill in order for the answer to be what u said. THe first one is that f(t)>0, which implies directly that [tex]\int^{r}_{0} f(t)dt[/tex] is monotono increasing.

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, there is no need that f(t)> 0. By the fundamental theorem of calculus, as long as g(x) is continuous if [tex]G(x)= \int_a^x g(t)dt[/tex], then [tex]\frac{dG}{dx}= g(x)[/tex]. In this case, g(x)= xf(x) so, as long as f is continuous, if [tex]F(r)= \int_0^r tf(t)dt[/tex], then [tex]\frac{dF}{dr}= rf(r)[/tex]. I do not understand why you would "need to have a df/dr term. Perhaps if you were to post the actual problem, it would make more sense.

5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    It is desired to show that if, for constant k,

[tex]\frac{d}{dr} g(r) = \frac{d}{dr}k\frac{r^2}{\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt} < 0[/tex]​

Then

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}f(r) > 0[/tex]​

When I take the derivative of g, I get

[tex]\frac{dg}{dr} = k\frac{2r\int^{r}_{0}tf(t)dt - r^2(rf(r))}{(\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt)^2}[/tex]​

If that is correct, I don't see how it is possible to show the desired relation. The definition of g given is the only information known about g. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  6. Dec 7, 2007 #5
    Bump.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, here's something. Let's throw k away. If it's positive it doesn't add anything to the problem and if it can be either sign, then it just plain isn't true. Now let

[tex]F(r)=\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt[/tex] and [tex]G(r)=\frac{r^2}{2} f(r)[/tex].

Now look at the numerator of dg/dr. If it's negative then G(r)>F(r). But G(0)=F(0)=0. So if G'(r)>F'(r) then I could conclude G(r)>F(r). G'(r)=rf(r)+(r^2/2)*f'(r). F'(r)=rf(r). So if f'(r)>0 then dg/dr<0 and vice versa. Trouble is, I can't see how the converse would hold, which seems to be what you are actually trying to prove.

8. Dec 7, 2007 #7

I'm not sure you can assume [tex]g(0) = F(0) = 0[/tex]. Can you walk me through your logic on that step?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  9. Dec 7, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not the little f and g. The big F and G. It's not an assumption, look at their definitions.

10. Dec 7, 2007 #9
    But G(r) depends only on little f(r), so how can you conclude that if F(0) = 0, that G(r) = 0?

11. Dec 7, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

G(0)=f(0)*0^2/2=0. F(0) is the integral from 0 to 0 of t*f(t) which=0.

12. Dec 7, 2007 #11
    Ah, OK. That makes sense.

13. Dec 7, 2007 #12
    Actually, looking back at the problem again, I needed to show that f'(r) > 0 implies g'(r) < 0, so I don't need to prove the converse. So, problem solved. Thanks for your help. I was tearing my hair out over that one.

14. Dec 7, 2007 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem. Good thing you don't have to prove the converse, It's not true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?