Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of an integral

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

This is my question. Suppose that I have a continuum of people on the measure [0,1]. Then, I want to aggregate their spending as follows,

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}(s^{\alpha}(i))di[/itex]

where i is any person in [0,1]. Suppose that I want to compute the derivative of the previous expression if [itex]s^{\alpha }[/itex] goes up for only one specific i[itex]\in[0,1][/itex]. That is, I want,

[itex]\frac{d(\int^{1}_{0}(s^{\alpha}(i))di)}{d(s(i))}[/itex]

How can I compute that derivative...? First, I thought that it would be zero since the contribution to the integral is infinitesimal, but I am not sure about that...

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is [itex]s^{\alpha}[/itex] s to the [itex]\alpha[/itex] power? If so Leibniz's rule:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} f(x,t)dt= \frac{d\beta}{dx}f(x,\beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha}{dx}f(x,\alpha(x))+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dt[/tex]
    Works: the derivative is
    [tex]\alpha \int_0^1 s^{\alpha- 1}(i)di[/tex]

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I did not write the problem properly. There is one specific J[itex]\in(0,1)[/itex], and I want
    [itex]\frac{d(\int^{1}_{0}(s(i)^{\alpha})di)}{d(s(J))}[/itex]. That is, the derivative with respect to that specific s(J). And yes, it is to the power of [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook