Derivative of an integral

Vickson for your help. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the derivative of a function. The correct equation for the FTC is F(x) = ∫f(t)dt, which shows that the function is a function of x and the variable of integration is t. The domain refers to the x-axis, while the interval of integration is represented by [a, x] and can be any interval on the t-axis.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Homework Equations

$$F(x)=\int_a^x f(x),~~F'(x)=f(x)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

In F'(x), x is at the end of the domain a-x, so, in my function ##~\cos(x^2)~## i also have to take the end of the domain, and it's 2x, so F'(x)=cos(4x2), but it's not enough.
The answer is F'(x)=2cos(4x2). i have to find F'(x) at x, not at 2x, so i don't know how

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 198424
View attachment 198425

Homework Equations

$$F(x)=\int_a^x f(x),~~F'(x)=f(x)$$
Your relevant equation isn't quite right. This part of the Fund. Thm. of Calculus is usually presented this way:
##F(x) = \int_a^x f(t)~dt \Rightarrow F'(x) = f(x)##
In short, you have x appearing as both a limit of integration and as the variable of integration. Further, you have omitted dt.
Karol said:

The Attempt at a Solution

In F'(x), x is at the end of the domain a-x, so, in my function ##~\cos(x^2)~## i also have to take the end of the domain, and it's 2x, so F'(x)=cos(4x2), but it's not enough.
The right term is "interval," not domain.
Karol said:
The answer is F'(x)=2cos(4x2). i have to find F'(x) at x, not at 2x, so i don't know how
##F(x) = \int_1^{2x} \cos(t^2)~dt##
Let u = 2x, so du/dx = 2
##F'(x) = \frac d {du} \int_1^u \cos(t^2)~dt \cdot \frac{du}{dx}##
Can you continue with this?

Mark44 said:
In short, you have x appearing as both a limit of integration and as the variable of integration.
I don't understand why to use x and t, and not only x. the graph is in the xy plane, and the domain is on the x axis.
But i couldn't separate between the limit of integration and the variable, as you did in the chain rule, if they were one, so that's the reason? i guess not only.
$$F'(x) = \frac d {du} \int_a^u \cos(t^2)~dt \cdot \frac{du}{dx}=2\cos(t^2)$$

Karol said:
I don't understand why to use x and t, and not only x. the graph is in the xy plane, and the domain is on the x axis.
Because in the Fund. Thm. of Calculus, you have ##F(x) = \int_a^x f(t)~dt##, so that F is a function of x, because x shows up as a limit of integration. With a different value of x, you get a different value for F(x). The variable of integration, as I wrote the equation above, and as this theorem almost always appears in textbooks, is t, a so-called dummy variable. Instead of f(t) dt, you could write f(r) dr, f(v) dv, whatever.

For the function in the integrand of your problem, the domain is all real numbers. The interval of integration, which isn't the same as the domain of a function, is the interval [a, x], which could be an interval on the t-axis.
Karol said:
But i couldn't separate between the limit of integration and the variable, as you did in the chain rule, if they were one, so that's the reason? i guess not only.
No, not quite. You should end up with ##2\cos(u^2)##, but what is u? I wrote it down earlier.

Karol said:

You cannot have the same x changing and not changing in the same problem at the same time! In the integration ##\int f(x) \, dx##, ##x## is changing---go back and review the definition of the integral to see exactly how. In the integration ##\int_0^x f(t) \, dt##, ##x## is not changing (but ##t## is).

Thank you Mark44 and Ray

What is the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of the integral with respect to its variable. In simpler terms, it is the slope of the tangent line to the integral curve at a particular point.

When do we use the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is particularly useful in calculating rates of change, optimization problems, and in finding the area under a curve.

How is the derivative of an integral calculated?

The derivative of an integral can be calculated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integrand evaluated at the upper limit of integration. In other words, it involves taking the derivative of the function inside the integral and then substituting the upper limit of integration for the variable.

What is the relationship between the derivative and integral?

The derivative and integral are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of an integral function is the original function, and the integral of a derivative function is the original function. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

Can the derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, while a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing. The sign of the derivative can provide information about the behavior of the original function.