1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of an inverse trig

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    tan^-1(x/(1-x^2)^1/2) find the derivative

the problem comes from 3g from MIT's PDF I found
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/part-b-implicit-differentiation-and-inverse-functions/problem-set-2/MIT18_01SC_pset5sol.pdf [Broken]

here is the solution key
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/part-b-implicit-differentiation-and-inverse-functions/problem-set-2/MIT18_01SC_pset5prb.pdf [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

The solution key says if y = x/(1-x^2)^1/2 then y' = (1-x^2)^-3/2 When I do it, y' comes out differently. This is how I attempt to solve it.

3. The attempt at a solution

Original problem: tan^-1((x/(1-x^2)^1/2)) what is the derivative with respect to x?

let y=x/(1-x^2)^1/2 y=x*(1-x^2)^-1/2 using the product rule I get:
    y'=(1)(1-x^2)^-1/2 + x(-1/2)((1-x^2)^-3/2)(-2)
    y'=(1-x^2)^-1/2 + (x^2)(1-x^2)^-3/2
    This looks a lot different than the y' stated in the solution manual: y' = (1-x^2)^-3/2

Am I on the right track? Is the solution manual wrong? or am I missing a step? Thank you ahead.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You need to use the chain rule, you have:
    [tex]
    f(x)=\tan^{-1}\left[ \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}} \right]
    [/tex]
    write (as you did) y=x/(1-x^2)^1/2 and use the chain rule:
    [tex]
    \frac{df}{dx}=\frac{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}
    [/tex]
    I believe you have already computed the second factor.

4. Aug 16, 2011 #3
    Thank you for the reply. However my question is why is my computed derivative of the inside term different than the answer key?

5. Aug 16, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

It's not different at all, take out a factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{1-x^{2}}[/itex] and you will see (with a little work) why they are the same.

6. Aug 16, 2011 #5
    Oh nice. I was wondering what I could do. Ty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook