1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of cos^(n-1) x

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    I'm working on a Maths assignment and one of the problem solving questions is to prove:
    [tex]\int cos^{8}(x)dx=\frac{1}{8}cos^{7}(x).sin(x)+\frac{7}{48}cos^{5}(x).sin(x)+\frac{35}{192}cos^{3}(x).sin(x)+\frac{35}{128}cos(x).sin(x)+\frac{35}{128}(x)+c[/tex]

I have looked through my text book and found a good example which will help me, the book uses a thing they are calling a recursive formula. I've done some research and I've seen the same formula from lots of different information sources.

Exhibit A: http://calc101.com/deriving_reduction_2.html

[STRIKE]They have all given demonstrations on how to get the formula, but when I try to do it myself I run into a problem when differentiating the first function [tex]cos^{n-1}(x)[/tex][/STRIKE]

Nevermind I was integrating haha, but still; obviously I am rusty on my differentiation techniques so if someone could check this for me that would be fantastic (mainly concerned with my procedure for communication marks etc.) :)

[tex]y=cos^{n-1}(x)[/tex]

Allow cos(x) to equal u

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=u^{n-1}.............1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=-sin(x)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{du}{-sin(x)}=dx..............2[/tex]

Sub 2 into 1

[tex]\frac{dy}{\frac{du}{-sin(x)}}=u^{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=(n-1)u^{n-1-1}.-sin(x)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=(n-1)u^{n-2}.-sin(x)[/tex]

But u = cosx

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=(n-1)cos^{n-2}(x).-sin(x)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you haven't done the derivative yet. [itex]y= u^{n-1}[/itex]
    and then [itex]dy/dx= (n-1)u^{n-2}

[/quote][tex]\frac{du}{dx}=-sin(x)[/tex]

Why are you doing this? Use the chain rule: (du/dx)= (du/dy)(dy/dx)
    That gives you [itex])n-1)u^{n-2}(-sin(x))= -(n-2)sin(x)cos^{n-2}(x)

But I see no reason to ask about the "n-1" power. For your problem you want to look at [itex]cos^n(x)[/itex]. Again, letting u= cos(x), [itex]y= u^n[/itex] so [itex]dy/du= n u^{n-1}[/itex] and du/dx= - sin(x). So [itex]dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx)= n u^{n-1}(-sin(x))= -n sin(x)cos^{n-1}(x)[/itex].

With a little practice, you should be able to do that with actually writing down the "u" substitution: to differentiate [itex]cos^n(x)[/itex] think "The "outer function" is a power so the derivative is [itex]n cos^{n-1}(x)[/itex] and then I multiply by its derivative, -sin(x)".

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    Doh, the chain rule.

Thank you very much, looks like I have alot of revision to do!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook