Understanding the Lagrangian Function for Maximization Problems

In summary, the conversation is about asking for help understanding a paper in economics, specifically in regards to solving for the first derivative of a Lagrangian function with respect to a variable. The person asking for help is having trouble understanding the notation and is seeking clarification and possible resources to better understand the problem.
arfie
Hi everyone!

I really need help for this. I have to read a paper in economics where some parts I don't understand.

Suppose:

[itex]S \equiv [\alpha,\bar{\alpha}]x[y,\bar{y}] [/itex]
[itex]V^e(p_j,g_j,y+r(r\alpha)-T_j,\alpha)\equiv \underset{h}{\text{max}}U(y+r(r,\alpha)-T_j,p_jh,h,g_j;\alpha)[/itex]

And then from maximization problem I have a Lagrangian function as follows:

[itex]L=
\sum_{i = 1}^{J} \Big[\int_S \omega (y,\alpha) V^e(p_i,y+r(y,\alpha)-T_i,g_i,\alpha)[/itex] [itex]a_i(y,\alpha)f(y,\alpha)\,dy\,d\alpha
+ \omega_R(R/J+\int_0^{p_i/(1+t_i)}H^i_s(z)\,dz)\Big][/itex]

[itex]\lambda_1[R+\int_S r(y,\alpha)f(y,\alpha)\,dy\,d\alpha]+\lambda_2[\int_S h_d(p_i,y+r(y,\alpha)-T_i,g_i,\alpha)a_i(y,\alpha)f(y,\alpha)\,dy\,d \alpha-H_S^i][/itex]

How can I solve for FOC for the lagrangian function with respect to [itex]r(y,\alpha)[/itex]? What rules should I use? I guess it has something to do with Leibniz's rule and chain rule but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely not enough info here for anyone to understand what's going on. For instance, "solve for FOC for the lagrangian function with respect to r(y,a)" is meaningless to me.

joeblow said:
Definitely not enough info here for anyone to understand what's going on. For instance, "solve for FOC for the lagrangian function with respect to r(y,a)" is meaningless to me.

Thanks for the reply.
I mean "how to get first derivative of L w.r.t r(y,a) which is dL/dr(y,a)?"

arfie said:
Thanks for the reply.
I mean "how to get first derivative of L w.r.t r(y,a) which is dL/dr(y,a)?"

Sorry, but you're going to have to give way more information. Start by defining all the notation you use. Describe the actual problem that's given. Maybe give a reference to where you have seen this.

micromass said:
Sorry, but you're going to have to give way more information. Start by defining all the notation you use. Describe the actual problem that's given. Maybe give a reference to where you have seen this.

Sorry if it's not that clear. The reference is here: http://www.nber.org/papers/w17251.pdf
My problem is in page 14, equation (20). I don't know how to get it.

What is the derivative of a double integral?

The derivative of a double integral is the function that represents the rate of change of the integral with respect to one of its variables. It is used to calculate the slope of a surface or to find the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point.

How do you calculate the derivative of a double integral?

To calculate the derivative of a double integral, you can use the Leibniz rule, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integral of the derivative. This means that you can find the derivative by first finding the antiderivative of the integrand, and then evaluating it at the limits of integration.

What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a double integral?

The purpose of finding the derivative of a double integral is to understand the rate of change of the integral with respect to one of its variables. This can be used in various applications, such as optimization problems in mathematics or to model physical phenomena in the natural sciences.

What are the common notations used for the derivative of a double integral?

The most common notations used for the derivative of a double integral are 'd/dx', 'dy/dx', or 'f'(x), where f is the function represented by the double integral. In some cases, the notation 'df/dx' is also used to represent the derivative of a double integral.

Can the derivative of a double integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a double integral can be negative. This indicates that the original integral is decreasing in value with respect to the variable being differentiated with respect to. Similarly, a positive derivative would indicate an increasing integral, and a zero derivative would indicate a constant integral.