Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of double integral

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone!

I really need help for this. I have to read a paper in economics where some parts I don't understand.

Suppose:

[itex]S \equiv [\alpha,\bar{\alpha}]x[y,\bar{y}] [/itex]
    [itex]V^e(p_j,g_j,y+r(r\alpha)-T_j,\alpha)\equiv \underset{h}{\text{max}}U(y+r(r,\alpha)-T_j,p_jh,h,g_j;\alpha)[/itex]

And then from maximization problem I have a Lagrangian function as follows:

[itex]L=
    \sum_{i = 1}^{J} \Big[\int_S \omega (y,\alpha) V^e(p_i,y+r(y,\alpha)-T_i,g_i,\alpha)[/itex] [itex]a_i(y,\alpha)f(y,\alpha)\,dy\,d\alpha
    + \omega_R(R/J+\int_0^{p_i/(1+t_i)}H^i_s(z)\,dz)\Big][/itex]

[itex]\lambda_1[R+\int_S r(y,\alpha)f(y,\alpha)\,dy\,d\alpha]+\lambda_2[\int_S h_d(p_i,y+r(y,\alpha)-T_i,g_i,\alpha)a_i(y,\alpha)f(y,\alpha)\,dy\,d \alpha-H_S^i][/itex]

How can I solve for FOC for the lagrangian function with respect to [itex]r(y,\alpha)[/itex]? What rules should I use? I guess it has something to do with Leibniz's rule and chain rule but I'm not sure. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2
    Definitely not enough info here for anyone to understand what's going on. For instance, "solve for FOC for the lagrangian function with respect to r(y,a)" is meaningless to me.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    I mean "how to get first derivative of L w.r.t r(y,a) which is dL/dr(y,a)?"

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry, but you're going to have to give way more information. Start by defining all the notation you use. Describe the actual problem that's given. Maybe give a reference to where you have seen this.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    Sorry if it's not that clear. The reference is here: http://www.nber.org/papers/w17251.pdf
    My problem is in page 14, equation (20). I don't know how to get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook