1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Fourier series

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1

etf

Let's say I have Fourier series of some function, [tex]f(t)[/tex], [tex]f(t)=\frac{a0}{2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}+bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})[/tex], where [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are lower and upper boundary of function, [tex]a0=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)dt[/tex], [tex]an=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)cos\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}dt[/tex], bn=[tex]\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)sin\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}dt[/tex]. My question is, can I find derivative of Fourier series on this way:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}+bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})=\frac{d}{dt}(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})=[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2

etf

[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{d}{dt}(an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{d}{dt}(bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})[/tex]
    ?
    Are there some limitations when I can do this and when I can't do this?
    PS. I had to write this in second message since for some reason my latex code can't fit in one message :)

4. Sep 25, 2014 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I know what you meant - your equation is an identity (I don't think you meant it). I presume your question is can you differentiate term by term to get the derivative of a Fourier series. The answer is no different from the same question for any infinite series.

Google the question and you will get plenty of answers.

5. Sep 25, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As long as a sum of functions is uniformly convergent, then you can differentiate the sum "term by term". Fourier series (and Taylor's series) are always uniformly convergent.

6. Sep 25, 2014 #5
    I think the Fourier series of a discontinuous function is only pointwise convergent, not uniformly convergent.

7. Sep 25, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed, the partial sums of a Fourier series are continuous, and the uniform limit of a sequence of continuous functions is continuous. So no discontinuous function can have a uniformly convergent Fourier series.

Moreover, uniform convergence of a sequence of differentiable functions ##f_n## to some function ##f## is not sufficient to ensure that ##f## is differentiable. If the sequence of derivatives ##f_n'## converges uniformly, then it is sufficient, and ##\lim f_n' = f'##.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook