What is the derivative of the inverse secant function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the inequality 5x^4 > 1 > 0 and how it relates to the domain of a function involving inverse trigonometric functions. The domain is restricted to values greater than or equal to 1, and this is shown by the graph of the function and the fact that the expression inside the square root must be greater than 0. The value of x is determined by the branch of the graph of the inverse function, and it is shown that 5x^4 must be greater than 1 in order for the function to be defined.
askor
Please refer to the below image (Example 5).

Do anyone know how 5x^4 > 1 > 0?

derivative.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
askor said:
Please refer to the below image (Example 5).

Do anyone know how 5x^4 > 1 > 0?

derivative.png

If ##5x^4 < 1## there would be a negative number under the root thus this is not part of the domain of the function.Therefore they assume ##5x^4 \geq 1##.

Math_QED said:
If ##5x^4 < 1## there would be a negative number under the root thus this is not part of the domain of the function.Therefore they assume ##5x^4 \geq 1##.

I still don't understand. Could someone explain this please. So, what happen if there is a negative number under the root?

Last edited:
I suspect that the domain here are the real numbers, although not explicitly mentioned. But for ##|u| < 1## the root ##\sqrt{u^2-1}## becomes negative, and square roots of negative numbers like ##\sqrt{-1}## aren't real. ##|u|=1## is forbidden since the denominator would be zero.
For ##u=5x^4## this translates to the requirement ##|u|=|5x^4|=5x^4 > 1##.

fresh_42 said:
I suspect that the domain here are the real numbers, although not explicitly mentioned. But for ##|u| < 1## the root ##\sqrt{u^2-1}## becomes negative, and square roots of negative numbers like ##\sqrt{-1}## aren't real. ##|u|=1## is forbidden since the denominator would be zero.

So, if ##|u| < 1## and ##|u| = 1## are forbidden, what the value of ##|u|## should be?

Is it ##|u| > 1##?

If yes, isn't ##|u| > 1## is equal to ##-1 > u > 1## (from what I learned about inequality property)?

I still don't understand.

askor said:
So, if ##|u| < 1## and ##|u| = 1## are forbidden, what the value of ##|u|## should be?

Is it ##|u| > 1##?
Yes.
If yes, isn't ##|u| > 1## is equal to ##-1 > u > 1## (from what I learned about inequality property)?
No.

##-1 > u > 1## doesn't make sense. Smaller than ##-1## cannot be greater than ##1##.
##|u| > 1## means: ##u > 1## if ##u## is positive and ##-u>1## if ##u## is negative, have a look
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_value

The explanation lies in the definition of sec-1(x) and the reason for this definition.

First we need to understand the graph of y = sec(x). Check out for example the 5th graph down on this page: http://cs.bluecc.edu/calculus/trigtools/graphs/trigGraphs/index.html .

In order to define an inverse function, we first need to find a portion of the domain of sec(x) on which sec(x) does not take the same value more than once. Ideally the function will also take all possible values at least once on this selected portion of the domain. This fussing is important!

A convenient portion of the domain of sec(x) for this purpose is the union of the two half-open intervals [0,π/2) and (π/2, π] — in other words the set X given by

X = [0, π/2) ∪ (π/2, π]​

— and this is what the standard convention is for obtaining the inverse function. Note that since sec(x) = 1/cos(x) by definition, and cos(x) takes values only between -1 and +1, it follows that sec(x) takes values only in the range

Y = (-∞, -1] ∪ [1, ∞).​

Now, to get the graph of the inverse function we need to consider the graph of y = sec(x) only on the restricted domain X, and then interchange the x- and y-axes. (This has the effect of flipping the graph about the 45° line y = x.) Thus the inverse function sec-1(x) has as its domain the set Y above, and takes values in the set X above.

Thus for all x where sec-1(x) makes sense, we have either x ≤ -1 or x ≥ +1. So x2 ≥ 1 in either case, which shows why the expression inside of the square root sign in the original problem is always greater than 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I know if x > 1 or x < -1?

fresh_42 said:
I suspect that the domain here are the real numbers, although not explicitly mentioned. But for ##|u| < 1## the root ##\sqrt{u^2-1}## becomes negative
I know you don't mean what you said. If |u| < 1, then ##u^2 - 1 < 0##, so ##\sqrt{u^2 - 1}## isn't real.
fresh_42 said:
, and square roots of negative numbers like ##\sqrt{-1}## aren't real. ##|u|=1## is forbidden since the denominator would be zero.

askor said:
How do I know if x > 1 or x < -1?
By which branch of the graph of y = sec-1(x) you're on. See the graph here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=arcsec(x)

In the first plot, change the plot type from Complex-valued plot to Real-valued plot.

BTW, arcsec(x) is just different notation for sec-1(x).

## 5x^4=sec y = \frac 1 {cos y} ##, because |cos y| <=1, we have ## |sec y| = |5x^4| = 5x^4 >= 1.##

1. What is the derivative of inverse secant?

The derivative of inverse secant is equal to -1 divided by the square root of x squared minus 1. This can also be written as -1/(sqrt(x^2 - 1)).

2. How do you find the derivative of inverse secant?

To find the derivative of inverse secant, you can use the formula d/dx(sec^-1(x)) = -1/(sqrt(x^2 - 1)). Alternatively, you can also use the chain rule and the derivative of secant to find the derivative of inverse secant.

3. What is the inverse of secant?

The inverse of secant is also known as arcsecant or sec^-1. It is the inverse function of secant and represents the angle whose secant is equal to a given value.

4. Why is the derivative of inverse secant important?

The derivative of inverse secant is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function that involves inverse secant. It is also used in solving optimization problems and finding maximum and minimum values.

5. Can the derivative of inverse secant be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of inverse secant can be simplified using trigonometric identities. For example, by using the identity sec^2(x) = 1 + tan^2(x), we can simplify the derivative to -tan(x)/sqrt(x^2 - 1).