Differentiate: f(x)=e^(x^3): Solve Homework Equation

In summary: Differentiating both sides:1/y dy/dx= ln(x)+x/x dy/dx= ln(x)+1 dy/dx= y (ln(x)+1). So dy/dx= y(ln(x)+1).In summary, when differentiating f(x)= e^(x^3), the answer is 3x^2*e^(x^3). For y=\sqrt{x^x}, the answer is y(ln(x)+1).
bondgirl007

Homework Statement

Differentiate:
f(x) = e^(x^3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

lnf(x) = ln(e) + 3ln(x)
1 / f(x) f'(x) = 1 + 3x^2 / x^3
f'(x) = ( e^(x^3) * 3X^2 ) / x^3

However, my book says the answer is 3x^2*e^(x^3).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've been stuck on this question for ages!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to take the logarithm, just differentiate it using the chain rule. Let y=x^3, then [tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{d}{dy}e^y\cdot\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

You are going about the whole problem the long way. Just use the chain rule. But if you do want to go the long way, ln(e^(x^3))=x^3*ln(e)=x^3. So ln(f(x))=x^3.

Thanks a lot!

I need help with another question.

Differentiate:
y=[tex]\sqrt{}x^x[/tex]

bondgirl007 said:
I need help with another question.

Differentiate:
y=[tex]\sqrt{}x^x[/tex]

I assume you mean:

[tex]y=\sqrt{x^x}[/tex]

Use the same method, first the chain rule for the square root, giving you:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\left(x^x\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\cdot \frac{d}{dx}\left(x^x\right)[/tex]

After this consider the general formula:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[f(x)\right]^{g(x)}=\left[f(x)\right]^{g(x)}\cdot ln[f(x)]\cdot \frac{d}{dx}[g(x)]+g(x) \cdot \left[f(x)\right]^{g(x)-1}\cdot \frac{d}{dx}[f(x)][/tex]

In this case f(x)=x and g(x)=x

Do not try to remember the formula, instead try to remember how to derive it. You can apply it then to any case you need. It is proven using the chain rule as well, after taking the logarithm.

To differentate [itex]u= x^x[/itex], you might want to use "logarithmic differentiation":
ln(y)= x ln(x).

1. What is the equation f(x)=e^(x^3)?

The equation f(x)=e^(x^3) represents an exponential function where the base is the mathematical constant e and the exponent is x^3.

2. How do I solve the equation f(x)=e^(x^3)?

To solve this equation, you can use the natural logarithm function ln on both sides of the equation. This will help isolate the variable x, and you can then solve for it using basic algebraic principles.

3. What is the derivative of f(x)=e^(x^3)?

The derivative of f(x)=e^(x^3) is f'(x)=3x^2e^(x^3). This can be found using the chain rule, where the derivative of the outer function e^(x^3) is multiplied by the derivative of the inner function x^3.

4. How do I differentiate f(x)=e^(x^3)?

To differentiate f(x)=e^(x^3), you can follow the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and the chain rule. First, take the derivative of the outer function e^(x^3), and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function x^3.

5. What is the solution to f(x)=e^(x^3)?

The solution to f(x)=e^(x^3) is a function that can be represented as y=e^(x^3). This solution is an exponential function that has a base of e and an exponent of x^3. It can also be represented as a graph on a coordinate plane, where the graph will show an exponential growth curve.