Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of log(x^2+y^3) ?

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    Derivative of log(x^2+y^3) ???

I'm familiar with the derivative of log x but not when x is raised to a power or when y is involved. Could someone offer some help? And if you know of a website that fully explains this please let me know. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the general rule for taking a derivative of something in the form f(g(x)) ?

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    I don't know, and I never will unless you tell me.

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    Do you have a calculus book? Have you ever used it? The derivative of a function of the form f(g(x)) is a very important topic and will certainly be covered in a calculus book, you shouldn't expect people to do your work for you.

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    Guess you'll never learn a damn thing.

7. Dec 6, 2010 #6
    Re: Derivative of log(x^2+y^3) ???

chain rule my friend. chain rule

8. Dec 7, 2010 #7

if x and y are both independent variable then you have to go for partial derivative.

9. Dec 7, 2010 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

thenabforlife and amaresh92: I strongly suspect that the original poster has been able to solve this problem somewhere along the line during the 34 months that have transpired since posting the problem. If not, the OP has bigger problems than the kind of help you two are offering.

Because sleeping threads should be left alone, I am locking this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?