Understanding the Derivative of r(dot): Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter enrion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, r(dot) is calculated using the chain rule of differentiation or the product/Leibniz rule. It is the derivative of (1/u) with respect to time, and can be derived from r = 1/u and r(dot) = (-1/u^2) *(du/dt).
enrion
Member warned that the homework template must be used
I have been given that r = 1/u
and that r(dot) = (-1/u^2) *(du/dt)
How is r(dot) calculated? I don't understand the steps of how to get from r to r(dot)
From my understanding r(dot) should be the derivative of (1/u) with respect to time, but I don't understand how to get to the final answer.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the chain rule of differentiation? Apply it to ##r(t) = (u(t))^{-1}##. Alternatively you can apply the product or Leibniz rule to ##1 = r(t) \cdot u(t)##.

Likes enrion
fresh_42 said:
Do you know the chain rule of differentiation? Apply it to ##r(t) = (u(t))^{-1}##. Alternatively you can apply the product or Leibniz rule to ##1 = r(t) \cdot u(t)##.
Thank you very much! Clearly I'm having a bad day :(

1. What is the derivative of r(dot)?

The derivative of r(dot) is the rate of change of the rate of change, or the second derivative, of the position vector r with respect to time.

2. Why is it important to understand the derivative of r(dot)?

Understanding the derivative of r(dot) is essential in many areas of physics and engineering, as it allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects and systems.

3. How do I calculate the derivative of r(dot)?

The derivative of r(dot) can be calculated using the chain rule, where r(dot) is treated as the inner function and time t is treated as the outer function. This results in the equation r(double dot) = d^2r/dt^2 = d(r(dot))/dt.

4. What does the derivative of r(dot) represent graphically?

The derivative of r(dot) represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve of r(dot) versus time t. This can be visualized as the rate of change of the slope of the position vector r over time.

5. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for understanding the derivative of r(dot)?

Yes, a step-by-step guide for understanding the derivative of r(dot) includes identifying the position vector r and expressing it in terms of time t, finding the first derivative of r with respect to t, applying the chain rule to find the second derivative of r with respect to t, and interpreting the second derivative as the derivative of r(dot). This process can be further broken down into smaller steps and practiced with various examples to solidify understanding.