Derivative of r^hat | John Taylor | Classical Mechanics

• Thread starter TheDoorsOfMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule and vector functions in deriving equations for acceleration and velocity in polar coordinates. There is also a discussion on formatting posts using LaTeX.
TheDoorsOfMe

Homework Statement

I am following along my classical mechanics book by John Taylor on page 27 in anyone has it. He is saying:

del r^hat ~ del phi * phi^hat

then..

del r^hat ~ D[phi] * del t * phi^hat

Then...

dr^hat/dt = D[phi] * phi^hat

Sorry for the horrible formating but I don't know how to make this better.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a few problems with this first why in the first equation is the phi needed? It would seem to me that del r^hat would just be equal to del phi^hat and the magnitude of phi would not be needed. Then how does the phi just turn into a derivative of phi in the second equation and now there is a del t? I understand the last line.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. click new reply
2. click the capital sigma all the way to the right of the toolbar
3. format your post using latex

Those are capital deltas [tex]\Delta[/tex], not dels [tex]\nabla [/tex]. Two VERY different things.

I don't like how Taylor develops the acceleration and velocity in polar coordinates using pictures and "approximate" arguments. Marion and Thornton do it this way too.

Instead, consider this argument. (It will go strait to eqn. (1.43) on page 28.)

We have [tex] \mathbf{r} = r \mathbf{e}_r[/tex], and

[tex] \mathbf{e}_r = \cos \left(\phi\right) \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \sin \left(\phi\right) \hat{\mathbf{j}} [/tex]

and

[tex] \mathbf{e}_\phi = - \sin \left(\phi \right) \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \cos \left(\phi \right) \hat{\mathbf{j}}. [/tex]

Now,

[tex] \frac{d \mathbf{r}}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( r \mathbf{e}_r} \right) = \dot{r}\mathbf{e}_r + r \frac{d \mathbf{e}_r}{dt}. [/tex]

But, by the chain rule,

[tex] \frac{d\mathbf{e}_r}{dt} = \frac{\partial \mathbf{e}_r}{\partial r}\dot{r} + \frac{\partial \mathbf{e}_r}{\partial \phi} \dot{\phi}.[/tex]

From above, then,

[tex] \frac{\partial \mathbf{e}_r}{\partial r} = 0 [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{\partial \mathbf{e}_r}{\partial \phi} = - \sin \left(\phi\right) \hat{\mathbf{i}}+ \cos \left(\phi\right) \hat{\mathbf{j}} = \mathbf{e}_\phi.[/tex]

Perhaps you can finish from here...

Not sure why you are using the chain rule in this step since [tex]
{e}_r
[/tex] doesn't have a time dependence.

I did make a minor mistake: the chain rule for [tex]\mathbf{e}_r[/tex] is actually

[tex]\frac{d\mathbf{e}_r}{dt} = \frac{d\mathbf{e}_r}{d\phi}\dot{\phi}.[/tex]

We don't need that other term in there, and the derivative is an ordinary derivative, not a partial. They're basically the same in this case however.

But, to answer your question: if [tex]\mathbf{e}_r[/tex] didn't depend on time, then we wouldn't be in this mess. It would be constant with respect to time like the standard unit vectors in cartesian coordinates.

If
[tex]\mathbf{e}_r = \cos \left(\phi\right) \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \sin \left(\phi\right) \hat{\mathbf{j}},[/tex]

it's important to note that [tex]\phi = \phi\left(t\right).[/tex] So, you can look at [tex]\mathbf{e}_r[/tex] as being a vector valued function [tex]\mathbf{e}_r \left( \phi \left(t\right)\right)[/tex]; hence, the chain rule is needed.

1. What is the derivative of r^hat?

The derivative of r^hat is zero, as r^hat is a constant vector.

2. Who is John Taylor?

John Taylor is a physicist and professor emeritus at the University of Colorado Boulder. He is well-known for his contributions to classical mechanics, including his textbook "Classical Mechanics" which is widely used in undergraduate courses.

3. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, such as particles, bodies, and systems. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

4. Why is the derivative of r^hat important in classical mechanics?

The derivative of r^hat is important in classical mechanics because it represents the instantaneous rate of change of the unit vector in the direction of increasing r. This can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a particle in a given direction.

5. What are some practical applications of the derivative of r^hat in classical mechanics?

The derivative of r^hat has many practical applications in classical mechanics, including determining the trajectory of projectiles, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, and predicting the behavior of objects in fluid dynamics. It is also used in engineering and other fields that involve the study of motion and forces.