1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of the action integral

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the partial derivative of the action S with respect to the generalized coordinate q(tf) and according to my textbook, it should equal the generalized momentum p(tf). How can I derive this?

2. Relevant equations
    S = integral of L dt, with boundary ti to tf. (ti and tf are initial and final times)
    qi = 0 (initial generalized coordinate)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the partial derivative of both sides with respect to the generalized coordinate q, so the right side will have partial L partial q (which is equal to (p dot)) so I'm left with integral of (p dot) dt, but this is simple p(tf) - p(ti). Since qi = 0, p(ti) = 0. Hence partial S partial q(tf) = p(tf).

Is this a possible solution? I have also uploaded my solution. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you can stop and declare victory as soon as you get to ##p(t_f)-p(t_i)##. That's a momentum quantity, which is all that's needed.

It is not necessarily the case that ##p(t_i)=0## or that ##q(t_i)=0##. Even if they were, a change of coordinates such as a shift of origin and/or a velocity boost could render them nonzero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted