Derivative of this function?

In summary: HJpY3QgdG8geW91ciBjb25zdHJ1Y3QgZm9yIGEgZnVuY3Rpb24gZiB4KSB0aGF0IGZ1bmN0aW9uIGYnKC4uLmY0KSBpbSBzdGFsbCB3aXRoIGZ1bmN0aW9uLi4uIHVuZGVyIHRoZSBjaGFpbiBydWxlOiBnJyhwLXNoYXBlKQ==In summary, to find g'(x), you can use the chain rule and the given formula for
PandaherO
1. Let the function f(x) have the property that f′(x)=x+1/x−3. If g(x)=f(x^2) find g′(x).

I've tried some steps already, however my answer is still wrong..

g'(x)=?
g'(x)=f'(x) at x^2 so, f'(x^2)?

(x+1)'(x-3)-(x+1)(x-3)'/(x-3)^2

in the end i get -4/(x-3)^2 and then I plug in x^2..
>-4/(x^4-6x^2+9)??

this seems to be wrong so could someone point out where my concept is flawed?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why you are finding the second derivative of f. That is not at all relevant to the question. Use the chain rule: [itex]g(x)= f(x^2)[/itex] so [itex]g'(x)= f'(x^2)(x^2)'[/itex]. You are given f', not f, so you do not need to do that derivative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, I don't exactly know what I was doing, either...haha I should have read the question more clearly.

PandaherO said:
1. Let the function f(x) have the property that f′(x)=x+1/x−3. If g(x)=f(x^2) find g′(x).

I've tried some steps already, however my answer is still wrong..

g'(x)=?
g'(x)=f'(x) at x^2 so, f'(x^2)?

(x+1)'(x-3)-(x+1)(x-3)'/(x-3)^2

in the end i get -4/(x-3)^2 and then I plug in x^2..
>-4/(x^4-6x^2+9)??

this seems to be wrong so could someone point out where my concept is flawed?
Thanks

Since g(x) = f(x^2), we have g'(x) = (d/dx) f(x^2), and you can write this out using the chain rule together with your formula f'(x) = x-3 + 1/x (as you have written).

RGV

1. What is a derivative of a function?

A derivative of a function is a measure of how the output of a function changes with respect to its input. It represents the slope of the function at a specific point and can be used to analyze the rate of change of the function.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using algebraic operations.

3. Why is the derivative important?

The derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes in response to different inputs. It is also essential in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering, as it is used to solve problems involving rates of change.

4. What is the relationship between a function and its derivative?

The derivative of a function is closely related to the original function. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point and can be used to find the slope of the tangent line at that point. In other words, the derivative describes how the function changes as the input changes.

5. Can the derivative be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that particular point. The sign of the derivative represents the direction of change of the function, with a positive derivative indicating an increasing function and a negative derivative indicating a decreasing function.