Derivative of trig function

In summary: It is an important rule for finding derivatives of composite functions, which is what (cos)^3(t) and (sin)^3(t) are. You can use the Chain Rule to find the derivatives of these functions. In summary, to find the derivatives of (cos)^3(t) and (sin)^3(t), you can use the Chain Rule, which is an important rule for finding derivatives of composite functions.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

How would I find d/dt of (cos)^3(t).
How would I find d/dt of (sin)^3(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
From the PF Global Guidelines:

Homework Help:
On posting questions: Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area. This should be done whether or not the problem is part of one's coursework. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance. Since graduate level assignments are meant to be more thought provoking (and hence more worthy of discussion), graduate level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of PF, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work. NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

I have no idea to do it or I would have show my attempt. All I know is the derivatives of cosx is -sinx and sinx is cosx

Haven't you learned about the Chain Rule?

1. What is the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is the rate of change of the function at a particular point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function can be found using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. It is important to remember the derivative formulas for each trigonometric function, such as sin(x), cos(x), tan(x), etc.

3. What are the common trigonometric functions?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc). These functions are used to describe the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

4. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is used to analyze the behavior of the function and its rate of change. It is also used to solve real-world problems involving trigonometric functions, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.

5. How is the derivative of a trigonometric function related to its graph?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is related to its graph by the slope of the tangent line at each point on the graph. The derivative can tell us about the increasing or decreasing behavior of the function and the concavity of the graph.