Derivative of vector-valued function.

In summary, a vector-valued function is a function that maps a scalar input to a vector output and describes a path in multiple dimensions. Its derivative is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of the function at a specific point and is represented by a vector itself. The derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of each component function separately using calculus rules. The physical significance of the derivative can vary depending on the application, representing concepts such as velocity, acceleration, or marginal cost. However, a vector-valued function may not have a derivative at every point due to discontinuities or undefined points.
minderbinder

Homework Statement

Consider the mapping [tex]f: R^3 \rightarrow R^2[/tex] defined by

[tex]f (x_1, x_2, x_3) = (x_1 e^{x_2}, x_2 e^{x_3})[/tex].

i) Show that the mapping [tex]f(x)[/tex] is differentiable and find its derivative at the origin.
ii) Show that the equation [tex]f(x) = a[/tex] for any point [tex]a \in R^2[/tex] determines a one-dimensional submanifold [tex]C \subset R^2[/tex], a smooth curve C in the three-dimensional space that can be described locally by giving two of the three variables [tex]x_1, x_2, x_3[/tex] as functions of the other variable.
iii) Find a tangent vector to the curve [tex]f(x) = (e, e)[/tex] at the point (1, 1, 1).

Homework Equations

I'm studying on my own, and unfortunately no solution is provided for this problem. I've got everything pretty much figured out, and only have some small questions. Can someone please look over my work & let me know anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

i)

The derivative matrix is:
[[tex]e^{x_2} x_1 e^{x_2} 0[/tex]]
[[tex]0 e^{x_3} x_2 e^{x_3}[/tex]]

The existence of this matrix shows that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is differentiable. (Is my reasoning here valid? Or would I need to do more to show that the function is valid?)

The derivative matrix at the origin is:
[1 0 0]
[0 1 0]

ii)
We have:
[tex]x_1 e^{x_2} = a_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2 e^{x_3} = a_2[/tex]. Adding them gives [tex]x_1 e^{x_2} + x_2 e^{x_3} - (a_1 + a_2) = 0[/tex], and we let this equation be called [tex]g(x)[/tex]. [tex]\nabla g(x) = (e^{x_2}, x_1 e^{x_2} + e^{x_3}, x_2 e^{x_3})[/tex]. By the implicit function theorem, since [tex]\nabla g(x)[/tex] is never zero (because [tex]e^{x_2}[/tex] is never zero), this curve can be solved locally anywhere. I'm unsure about how to show that this is a curve instead of a surface...

iii) Plug in (1, 1, 1) into [tex]\nabla g(x)[/tex], we have (e, 2e, e).

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tangent vector to the curve f(x) = (e, e) at the point (1, 1, 1).

Hello,

I would like to commend you on your efforts to solve this problem on your own. It shows a great deal of dedication and critical thinking skills. I have reviewed your work and have some suggestions and clarifications for you.

i) Your reasoning for showing that the function is differentiable is correct. The existence of the derivative matrix is enough to show that the function is differentiable. However, you should also mention that the partial derivatives of f(x) are continuous, which is a necessary condition for differentiability.

ii) Your approach to showing that the equation f(x) = a for any point a \in R^2 determines a one-dimensional submanifold C \subset R^2 is correct. However, you should clarify that g(x) = 0 represents a level set or a curve in R^3, not a surface. This is because the equation has three variables (x_1, x_2, x_3), but only two constraints (a_1, a_2).

iii) Your solution for finding a tangent vector to the curve f(x) = (e, e) at the point (1, 1, 1) is correct. However, you should mention that the vector (e, 2e, e) is the gradient of g(x) evaluated at (1, 1, 1).

Overall, your solution is well thought out and shows a good understanding of the concepts involved. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a vector-valued function?

A vector-valued function is a function that maps a scalar input (usually time) to a vector output. In other words, it describes a path in multiple dimensions.

2. What is the derivative of a vector-valued function?

The derivative of a vector-valued function is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is a vector itself, representing the slope or direction of the tangent line to the function at that point.

3. How is the derivative of a vector-valued function calculated?

The derivative of a vector-valued function is calculated by taking the derivative of each component function separately. This can be done using the rules of calculus, such as the product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule.

4. What is the physical significance of the derivative of a vector-valued function?

The derivative of a vector-valued function has many physical interpretations, depending on the application. In physics, it can represent velocity, acceleration, or force. In economics, it can represent marginal rate of substitution or marginal cost. In engineering, it can represent rate of change of a system's state variables.

5. Can a vector-valued function have a derivative at every point?

No, a vector-valued function may not have a derivative at every point. It can have discontinuities, sharp turns, or undefined points where the derivative does not exist. In these cases, the derivative is either undefined or infinite.