What is the Derivative of x / (2 - tan x)?

In summary, the derivative of x / (2 - tan x) is (2+x sec^2(x)-tan(x))/(-2+tan(x))^2, but can also be expressed as (x sec^2 x) / (2 - tan x). It is important to pay attention to parentheses and negative signs when simplifying expressions.
communitycoll

Homework Statement

I need to find the derivative of x / (2 - tan x).

Homework Equations

I do everything Wolfram Alpha does here:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+x+/+(2+-+tan+x)
Except I don't understand why the answer is (2+x sec^2(x)-tan(x))/(-2+tan(x))^2.

I get (x sec^2 x) / (2 - tan x).

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution above. Again just what Wolfram Alpha does, but I simplify:

(2+x sec^2(x)-tan(x))/(tan(x) - 2)^2

to

(x sec^2 x) / (2 - tan x).

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't pull a 2-tan(x) out of the top of that equation, there is a 2-tan(x) on the top as well as the bottom but on the top it's being added to the xsec^2(x) not multiplied so you can't simplify.

Vorde said:
You can't pull a 2-tan(x) out of the top of that equation, there is a 2-tan(x) on the top as well as the bottom but on the top it's being added to the xsec^2(x) not multiplied so you can't simplify.

Why is the tan x positive and the 2 negative in the denominator?

[Edit] Also can't I pull 2-tan(x) out of 1(2-tan(x)) and then just leave a 1 + x sec^2(x) up there in the numerator? [Edit]

I don't know why wolfram alpha changes the denominator, it has to be convention within wolfram alpha because there is no need for it. As for the numerator, it has to do with keeping track of parentheses with regards to negative signs, if you work it out it will make sense.

As for the second comment. No, because that would require dividing 2-tan(x) out of xsec^2(x) as well, which would only make it more confusing.

communitycoll said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the derivative of x / (2 - tan x).

Homework Equations

I do everything Wolfram Alpha does here:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+x+/+(2+-+tan+x)
Except I don't understand why the answer is (2+x sec^2(x)-tan(x))/(-2+tan(x))^2.

I get (x sec^2 x) / (2 - tan x).

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution above. Again just what Wolfram Alpha does, but I simplify:

(2+x sec^2(x)-tan(x))/(tan(x) - 2)^2

to

(x sec^2 x) / (2 - tan x).
Algebra. Algebra. Algebra !

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{2+x \sec^2(x)-\tan(x)}{(\tan(x) - 2)^2}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{2+x \sec^2(x)-\tan(x)}{(2-\tan(x))^2}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{2-\tan(x)+x \sec^2(x)}{(2-\tan(x))^2}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{2-\tan(x)}{(2-\tan(x))^2}+
\frac{+x \sec^2(x)}{(2-\tan(x))^2}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{2-\tan(x)}+\frac{x \sec^2(x)}{(2-\tan(x))^2}[/itex]​
This is not simpler than what we started with.

Okay then thanks. I appreciate it.

1. What is the derivative of x / (2 - tan x)?

The derivative of x / (2 - tan x) is [(2 - tan x)(1) - x(-sec^2 x)] / (2 - tan x)^2, which simplifies to (2 + xsec^2 x) / (2 - tan x)^2.

2. How do you find the derivative of x / (2 - tan x)?

To find the derivative of x / (2 - tan x), we can use the quotient rule: [f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)] / g(x)^2. In this case, f(x) = x and g(x) = (2 - tan x).

3. What is the domain of the function x / (2 - tan x)?

The domain of x / (2 - tan x) includes all real numbers except for values of x that make the denominator (2 - tan x) equal to 0. This means that x cannot equal π/2 + nπ, where n is any integer.

4. What is the range of the function x / (2 - tan x)?

The range of x / (2 - tan x) is all real numbers, as the function can take on any value based on the input of x. However, there may be certain values of x that result in undefined values due to the domain restrictions.

5. How can the derivative of x / (2 - tan x) be used in real-world applications?

The derivative of x / (2 - tan x) can be used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering to calculate rates of change and slopes of curves. It can also be used in economics to find the marginal cost, which is the change in cost for each additional unit produced. Additionally, the derivative can be used to find the maximum and minimum points of a function, which can be useful in optimization problems.