What is the Derivative of y = √x at x = 1?

• Thread starter fiziksfun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of Y=sqrtX is 1/2 times the square root of X. To find the derivative, you can use the power rule: take the exponent (1/2) and multiply it by the coefficient (1) to get 1/2, then subtract 1 from the exponent to get -1/2, and finally multiply by the derivative of the inside function (1) to get a final answer of 1/2 times the square root of X. The graph of Y=sqrtX starts at the origin (0,0) and increases slowly at first, becoming steeper as X increases and approaching infinity as X approaches infinity. The domain and range of Y=sqrtX are both
fiziksfun
I was asked to find the derivative of y=sqrtx at x=1

I need to use the formula

lim x -> a = f(x) - f(a) / (x-a) to find the derivative at x=1

I have..

sqrtx - 1 / (x - 1) BUT i can't simply it from there. Help!

THANKSZ.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}-1}{x-1}=\frac{\sqrt{x}+1}{\sqrt{x}+1}\frac{\sqrt{x}-1}{x-1}=\frac{(\sqrt{x}+1)(\sqrt{x}-1)}{x-1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}+1}[/tex]
Does that help you a bit?

To find the derivative of y = √x at x = 1, we can use the limit definition of derivative as you have mentioned. Let's plug in x = 1 into the formula:

lim x->1 = √x - √1 / (x - 1)

Since √1 = 1, we can simplify the numerator to:

lim x->1 = √x - 1 / (x - 1)

Now, to simplify further, we can use the conjugate of the numerator (which is √x + 1) to eliminate the radical in the numerator:

lim x->1 = (√x - 1)(√x + 1) / (x - 1)(√x + 1)

= (x - 1) / (x - 1)(√x + 1)

= 1 / (√x + 1)

Finally, we can plug in x = 1 to find the derivative at x = 1:

lim x->1 = 1 / (√1 + 1)

= 1/2

Therefore, the derivative of y = √x at x = 1 is 1/2. I hope this helps!

What is the derivative of Y=sqrtX?

The derivative of Y=sqrtX is 1/2 times the square root of X.

How do you find the derivative of Y=sqrtX?

To find the derivative of Y=sqrtX, you can use the power rule: take the exponent (1/2) and multiply it by the coefficient (1) to get 1/2. Then, subtract 1 from the exponent to get -1/2. Finally, multiply by the derivative of the inside function (1) to get a final answer of 1/2 times the square root of X.

What is the graph of Y=sqrtX?

The graph of Y=sqrtX is a curve that starts at the origin (0,0) and increases slowly at first, then becomes steeper and steeper as X increases. It approaches infinity as X approaches infinity.

What is the domain of Y=sqrtX?

The domain of Y=sqrtX is all non-negative real numbers, or in interval notation, [0, infinity).

What is the range of Y=sqrtX?

The range of Y=sqrtX is also all non-negative real numbers, or [0, infinity).