1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    Using the FTOC and attemting to find the derivative of [tex] g(x) \int^x_0 tan^2 2tdt [/tex] I made [tex] u=tan^2 [/tex]. I know it will wind up being F(x)-F(0) but I'm at a loss with what to do with the 2t. Am I on the right track or have I chosen the wrong u?

If you could, please guide me and don't spell out the answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2

Gold Member

I think the problem is that there are 2 fundamental theorems of calculus. One of them is that:
    where F(x) is an antiderivative of f(x). The other is that
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{0}^{x} f(t)dt=f(x)[/tex]
    I think they mean for you to use the latter along with the product rule for differentiation.
  4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course, you use the product rule also because of that g(x)
    but the derivative of [tex]\int_0^x f(t)dt[/tex] is just f(x).
  5. Sep 13, 2005 #4
    I've gotten another hint that (tan^2 2t) should have been my u. With that I get (tan2x*tan2x) which I made (sin2x/cos2x)(sin2x/cos2x). Now I make with d/dx g(x)=d/dx[g(u)subx - g(u)sub0] the sub0 drops off because its zero and now I have d/dx[g(u)subx]=f(x) which leaves me with (sin2x/cos2x)(sin2x/cos2x).

Sorry, got lazy with the la tex.
  6. Sep 13, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why in the world would you change from tan(2x) to [itex]\frac{sin(2x)}{cos(2x)}[/itex]? That just makes it more complicated!

Representing, for the moment, [itex] \int^x_0 tan^2 2tdt[/itex] as "f(x)", the problem is to differentiate g(x)f(x) and its derivative is, of course, g'(x)f(x)+ g(x)f'(x) (the product rule).

By the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (one of them, anyway),
    f'(x)= tan2(2x)- it's as easy as that.

So your derivative is
    [tex]g'(x)\int^x_0 tan^2 2tdt+ g(x)tan^2(2x)[/tex]
  7. Sep 13, 2005 #6
    ...good grief...I have a long way to go. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?