Struggling with the FTOC: Derivative of g(x)

• Thread starter Echo 6 Sierra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the person is trying to find the derivative of g(x) \int^x_0 tan^2 2tdt. They know that it will wind up being F(x)-F(0) but they are at a loss with what to do with the 2t. They get a hint from another person that (tan2x*tan2x) should have been their u. With that they get (sin2x/cos2x)(sin2x/cos2x). Now they need to differentiate g'(x)f(x)+ g(x)f'(x) and the problem is that they still have a long way to go.
Echo 6 Sierra
Using the FTOC and attemting to find the derivative of [tex] g(x) \int^x_0 tan^2 2tdt [/tex] I made [tex] u=tan^2 [/tex]. I know it will wind up being F(x)-F(0) but I'm at a loss with what to do with the 2t. Am I on the right track or have I chosen the wrong u?

If you could, please guide me and don't spell out the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that there are 2 fundamental theorems of calculus. One of them is that:
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)[/tex]
where F(x) is an antiderivative of f(x). The other is that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{0}^{x} f(t)dt=f(x)[/tex]
I think they mean for you to use the latter along with the product rule for differentiation.

Of course, you use the product rule also because of that g(x)
but the derivative of [tex]\int_0^x f(t)dt[/tex] is just f(x).

I've gotten another hint that (tan^2 2t) should have been my u. With that I get (tan2x*tan2x) which I made (sin2x/cos2x)(sin2x/cos2x). Now I make with d/dx g(x)=d/dx[g(u)subx - g(u)sub0] the sub0 drops off because its zero and now I have d/dx[g(u)subx]=f(x) which leaves me with (sin2x/cos2x)(sin2x/cos2x).

Sorry, got lazy with the la tex.

Why in the world would you change from tan(2x) to [itex]\frac{sin(2x)}{cos(2x)}[/itex]? That just makes it more complicated!

Representing, for the moment, [itex] \int^x_0 tan^2 2tdt[/itex] as "f(x)", the problem is to differentiate g(x)f(x) and its derivative is, of course, g'(x)f(x)+ g(x)f'(x) (the product rule).

By the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (one of them, anyway),
f'(x)= tan2(2x)- it's as easy as that.

So your derivative is
[tex]g'(x)\int^x_0 tan^2 2tdt+ g(x)tan^2(2x)[/tex]

...good grief...I have a long way to go. Thank you.

What is the FTOC?

The FTOC stands for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the concepts of differentiation and integration.

What does it mean to struggle with the FTOC?

Struggling with the FTOC means that a person is having difficulty understanding or applying the concepts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, specifically in regards to finding the derivative of a function.

What is the derivative of g(x)?

The derivative of g(x) is the rate of change of the function g(x) at a specific point. It can be found by using the FTOC and taking the integral of the function g'(x).

Why is the derivative of g(x) important?

The derivative of g(x) is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of a function. It also has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How can I improve my understanding of the FTOC and the derivative of g(x)?

To improve your understanding of the FTOC and the derivative of g(x), you can practice solving problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and review the fundamental concepts of calculus. It is also important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry.