Solving Derivative Operator Equations: Need Advice

In summary, the author is working through a proof and is stuck on the last line. They can't understand why \omega_c+\omega_b=0. They use Wald's definition of the Reimann curvature tensor and appeal to its symmetry properties. If you expand all the commutators in the Jacobi identity all terms will cancel (provided you apply the associativity property of the underlying product). Assuming the \{\omega_a\} are basis vectors of the tangent space in a coordinate basis, then you can think of them as derivatives of the point function p(x).
latentcorpse
im working through a proof and am stuck on the last line. i can't understand why

[itex]\nabla_a \nabla_b \omega_c - \nabla_b \nabla_a \omega_c + \nabla_b \nabla_c \omega_a - \nabla_c \nabla_b \omega_a + \nabla_c \nabla_a \omega_b - \nabla_a \nabla_c \omega_b=0[/itex]?

any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the some reason that [itex][\nabla_{a},\nabla_{b}]\neq0[/itex] (e.g. are you doing GR, and these are covariant derivatives)?

Use Wald's definition of the Reimann curvature tensor and appeal to its symmetry properties. (Unless this you are trying to prove the appropriate symmetry property in the first place, in which case you'll want to use 3.1.14 along with the symmetry of the Christoffel connections)

You haven't given much information but I assume the [tex]\omega[/tex] are tangent vectors (co-vectors?) and your identity has to do with the fact that you are using a coordinate basis.

Below the surface of this is the more fundamental Jacobi identity which reflects the underlying associativity of the operator algebra.

Jacobi Identity: [tex][[\nabla_a,\nabla_b],\nabla_c] +[[\nabla_b,\nabla_c],\nabla_a]+[[\nabla_c,\nabla_a],\nabla_b]=0[/tex]

Which holds for any algebraic system where the [tex]\nabla[/tex] are elements and where the bracket is a commutator of an associative product:
[tex][\nabla_a,\nabla_b]\equiv \nabla_a\nabla_b - \nabla_b\nabla_a[/tex]

You will note that if you expand all the commutators in the Jacobi identity all terms will cancel (provided you apply the associativity property of the underlying product).

Now assuming the [tex]\{\omega_a\}[/tex] are basis vectors of the tangent space in a coordinate basis i.e. then you can think of them as derivatives of the point function p(x) which maps coordinate values to a point on the manifold. Since the point itself is a scalar (it is by definition invariant under transformations at that point) you can apply either coordinate derivatives [tex]\partial_a[/tex] or covariant derivatives equivalently. So taking the l.h.s. of the Jacobi identity and applying it to the "point function" p(x) and you get your identity via:

[tex] \omega_a \equiv \nabla_a \mathbf{p}(x)[/tex]

I'm a bit fuzzy on whether the coordinate basis condition is necessary. I'll do some more research and check back later. (Anyone else recall?) I know there are issues relating Torsion and the Bianchi identities.

What is a derivative operator equation?

A derivative operator equation is an equation that involves the use of a derivative operator, which is a mathematical symbol used to represent the process of finding the rate of change of a function. It is typically represented by the symbol d/dx.

What is the process of solving a derivative operator equation?

The process of solving a derivative operator equation involves finding the function that satisfies the equation. This is done by using various mathematical techniques, such as integration, differentiation, and algebraic manipulation.

What are some common tips for solving derivative operator equations?

Some common tips for solving derivative operator equations include: identifying the type of equation (linear, quadratic, etc.), understanding the properties of the derivative operator, using appropriate substitution and simplification techniques, and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative operator equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative operator equations include: incorrect use of the derivative operator, incorrect application of mathematical rules, careless errors in calculations, and not checking the validity of the solution.

How can I improve my skills in solving derivative operator equations?

The best way to improve your skills in solving derivative operator equations is through practice and studying various techniques and strategies for solving different types of equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain a better understanding of the concepts.