• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Derivative particle problem

I have this function (to calculate potential for classical over-barrier model if you're wondering) where qp and qt are both (different) particle charges:

V(a,R) = -(qp /R) - [qt / (R-a)]

What is dV/da?

The maximum of the function occurs when dV/da = 0, and I need to solve for a. So does solving for a yield R[1 + sqrt(qt/qp)]^-1?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
the-rocketman said:
I have this function (to calculate potential for classical over-barrier model if you're wondering) where qp and qt are both (different) particle charges:

V(a,R) = -(qp /R) - [qt / (R-a)]

What is dV/da?
use the chain rule.
 
Hm... but it has 2 variables. I havent had any multivariable calc.
 

sic

9
0
what?
try to sketch the function. obviously, the function doesn't have a maximum for any constant R.
what is the question from the beginning?
 
R and a are not constants, they are the variables. the constants are the q values
 
the-rocketman said:
The maximum of the function occurs when dV/da = 0...
That isn't necessarily true for multivariable functions. Instead, you need to see when the gradient vector [dV/da, dV/dR] = 0 and use the discriminant to tell what type of critical point it is.
 
the-rocketman said:
Hm... but it has 2 variables. I havent had any multivariable calc.
the process is the same. just imagine that R isn't a variable, so long as you want to find dV/da.

(the "d's" should be curly, like so: [tex]\partial[/tex])
 

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top