1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative Problem! Please help

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F(x)= f(x^8) and G(x)=(f(x))^8. You also know that a^7= 14, f(a)=2, f'(a)= 10, f'(a^8)=4 Find F'(a)=______ and G'(a)=______

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

G(a)=(f(a))^8
    G'(a)=8(f(a))^7*(f'(a))
    G'(a)=8(2)^7*10
    G'(a)=10240

F(a)=f(a^8)
    F'(a)=k(f'(a))
    F'(a)=1*(4)
    F'(a)=4

One of the two is incorrect but I do not know which one and I am am not sure how to go about finding it

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Sorry for being suspicious, but are these your own attempts at a solution? I find it hard to believe that you can do one correctly and completely miss the other. What is k?

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3
    Yes they're my own attempts. The reason I don't know why I'm missing one of them is cause I don't see anything wrong! Which is why i'm looking for help. And k is the sign for constant

5. Jun 3, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

How does that constant end up there? There is not a single k to be found anywhere else in your problem. Either way apply the chain rule in the same way as you did with G.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook