1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative problem

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello - I have been messing around with this problem for a while, please help.
    I actually know the solution, but cannot reach it on paper:

Find where the slope of the tangent to the curve e^(-x^2) is equal to 2/e

3. The attempt at a solution
    d/dx e^(-x^2) = e^(-x^2) * d/dx -x^2 = -2xe^(-x^2)

Set: -2xe^(-x^2) = 2/e

e^(-x^2 + 1) = -1/x

(e^(-x^2 + 1))^-1 = (-1/x)^-1

e^(x^2-1) = -x

At this point I can see that the only possible solution is x = -1, yet cannot actually reach that conclusion on paper. It seems like I'm missing something ridiculously simple.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean you can't reach that conclusion on paper? Plug in x = -1, show that left sides = right side, then all that remains to show is that there are no more solutions. The function mapping x to ex²-1+x is clearly increasing, so it has at most one root, and you've found it at -1, so you're done.

4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    I mean that I know that the solution is x = -1 because I just happened to notice that it was the solution, not because I solved for x = -1.

Say I'm left with:
    e^(x^2-1) = -x

I could easily have no idea what the solution is.
    How do I work the equation to show x = -1?

5. Oct 17, 2007 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

sub x=1 into the equation and show the left side is equal to the right side

6. Oct 18, 2007 #5
    This is a problem that, as far as I know, can't be solved algebraically. You'd have to use analysis as explained above.

7. Oct 18, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Happening to notice" that a specific value satisfies an equation is a perfectly good method! (Provided that you check that it does work.) And a perfectly good method of seeing that x= -1 is the ONLY solution is to graph the functions [tex]y= e^{x^2-1}[/tex] and [tex] y= -x[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?