Solving a Derivative Problem with f(x) = SQRT(1-3x)

• Thread starter ladyrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation involves discussing how to solve an algebra problem using the definition of derivative. The person is struggling with using the formula and is looking for simpler ways to solve the problem. A step-by-step solution is provided, resulting in the derivative of the given function. The conversation ends with a question about why the person is disappointed with the correct answer.
ladyrae
My algebra continues to let me down…

How about this one…I know there a simpler ways to do these problems but at this point I’m supposed to do it the hard way.

Using the definition of derivate find f ` (x)

f(x) = SQRT(1-3x)

f ` (x) = lim h->0 [(f(x+h)) – (f(x))]/h

= lim->0 [(SQRT(1-3(x+h))) – (SQRT(1-3x))]/h

= lim->0 [[(SQRT(1-3(x+h))) – (SQRT(1-3x))]/h] . [[((SQRT(1-3x-3h))) + (SQRT (1-3x))]/ [((SQRT(1-3x-3h))) + (SQRT (1-3x))]]

=lim->0 (1-3x-3h-1+3x)/(h[(SQRT(1-3x-3h)) + (SQRT (1-3x))]

= lim->0 -3/[SQRT(1-3x-3h) + SQRT (1-3x)]

= -3/(2(SQRT(1-3x))

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you let down by the correct answer? :smile:

)

= -3/(2f(x))

So, the derivative of f(x) is -3/(2f(x)).

I understand that this may seem like a difficult and tedious process, but it is important to understand the fundamentals of derivatives in order to solve more complex problems in the future. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, algebra can be challenging but with persistence and effort, you will improve and become more confident in solving these types of problems. Good luck!

1. What is the first step in solving this derivative problem?

The first step in solving this derivative problem is to remember the formula for finding the derivative of a square root function. In this case, the formula is (1/2) * (1-3x)^-1/2 * (-3).

2. How do I simplify the derivative expression?

To simplify the derivative expression, you can start by distributing the -3 to the (1-3x)^-1/2 term. This will result in -3/2 * (1-3x)^-1/2. Then, you can simplify further by bringing the exponent down to the denominator and changing the sign of the exponent. This will result in -3/2 * (1-3x)^1/2.

3. Can I use the chain rule to solve this derivative problem?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to solve this derivative problem. The formula for the chain rule is f'(g(x)) * g'(x). In this case, the inner function is 1-3x, and the outer function is the square root. Therefore, the derivative would be f'(g(x)) * g'(x) = (1/2) * (1-3x)^-1/2 * (-3).

4. What is the domain of this function?

The domain of this function is all real numbers, as long as the expression inside the square root is non-negative. In other words, the domain is all values of x that make 1-3x greater than or equal to 0. Therefore, the domain is x ≤ 1/3.

5. How can I check my answer for this derivative problem?

To check your answer, you can take the derivative of the original function using the power rule or the chain rule. Then, you can compare your answer to the simplified expression from the original problem. If both expressions are equal, then your answer is correct.