1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative problem

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that an amount function ## a(t) ## is differentiable and satisfies the property
    ## a(s + t) = a(s) + a(t) − a(0) ##
    for all non-negative real numbers ## s ## and ## t ##.

(a) Using the definition of derivative as a limit of a difference quotient, show that ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##.

(b) Show that ## a(t) = 1 + it ## where ## i = a(1) − a(0) = a(1) − 1 ##.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not understand what part b. expects me to do. If ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##, then I can show that equivalency using the definition of ## i ##. But, does that really show that ## a(t) = 1 + it ##? Perhaps the question is poorly worded, and it should read ## a(t) ## is a possible solution? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Any function of the form [itex]a(t) = Ct + D[/itex] for constants [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex] satisfies [itex]a(s + t) = a(s) + a(t) - a(0)[/itex] for all nonnegative [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex].

Perhaps the definition of an "amount function" imposes conditions on [itex]a[/itex] which you haven't told us about, for example that [itex]a(0) = 1[/itex].

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

[itex] a'(t) = a'(0) [/itex] implies [itex] a'(t) [/itex] is a constant function. You know how to find an antiderivative of a constant function.

5. Dec 14, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The conclusion is false. Try ##a(t) = mt## for any nonzero constant ##m##. It satisfies the hypotheses but not the conclusion.

6. Dec 14, 2014 #5
    The textbook writes True, True for the solutions, for whatever that's worth.

My approach was:
    Since ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##, ## a(t) = a(0) = 1 ##. Then ## a'(t) = a(1) - 1 = 0 = a'(0) ##.

7. Dec 14, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Since ## a'(t) = a'(0) ## then ##a(t) = ta'(0) + C##, and you aren't given ##a(0)=1##.

8. Dec 14, 2014 #7
    My bad. ## a(0) = 1 ## for accumulation functions.

9. Dec 14, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Accumulation functions? Who said anything about accumulation functions, whatever they are? Not good to keep secrets when stating a problem...

10. Dec 14, 2014 #9
    Miswrote, meant amount function as specified in problem. And sorry, I was lazy and assumed too much of whoever was going to help me.

11. Dec 14, 2014 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Apparently the terms amount function and accumulation function come from finance. The accumulation function says how $1 would grow over time. In this problem, the accumulation function ##a(t) = 1+it## corresponds to simple interest. The amount function ##A(t)=K a(t)## is the balance at time ##t## if you start with a principal amount ##K##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted