Derivative definition problem

In summary, the function ##a(t)## is differentiable, defined for all real numbers ##s## and ##t##, and satisfies the following property: ## a(s+t) = a(s) + a(t) − a(0) ##
wintermute++

Homework Statement

Suppose that an amount function ## a(t) ## is differentiable and satisfies the property
## a(s + t) = a(s) + a(t) − a(0) ##
for all non-negative real numbers ## s ## and ## t ##.

(a) Using the definition of derivative as a limit of a difference quotient, show that ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##.

(b) Show that ## a(t) = 1 + it ## where ## i = a(1) − a(0) = a(1) − 1 ##.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand what part b. expects me to do. If ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##, then I can show that equivalency using the definition of ## i ##. But, does that really show that ## a(t) = 1 + it ##? Perhaps the question is poorly worded, and it should read ## a(t) ## is a possible solution? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any function of the form [itex]a(t) = Ct + D[/itex] for constants [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex] satisfies [itex]a(s + t) = a(s) + a(t) - a(0)[/itex] for all nonnegative [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex].

Perhaps the definition of an "amount function" imposes conditions on [itex]a[/itex] which you haven't told us about, for example that [itex]a(0) = 1[/itex].

[itex] a'(t) = a'(0) [/itex] implies [itex] a'(t) [/itex] is a constant function. You know how to find an antiderivative of a constant function.

wintermute++ said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that an amount function ## a(t) ## is differentiable and satisfies the property
## a(s + t) = a(s) + a(t) − a(0) ##
for all non-negative real numbers ## s ## and ## t ##.

(a) Using the definition of derivative as a limit of a difference quotient, show that ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##.

(b) Show that ## a(t) = 1 + it ## where ## i = a(1) − a(0) = a(1) − 1 ##.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand what part b. expects me to do. If ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##, then I can show that equivalency using the definition of ## i ##. But, does that really show that ## a(t) = 1 + it ##? Perhaps the question is poorly worded, and it should read ## a(t) ## is a possible solution? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

The conclusion is false. Try ##a(t) = mt## for any nonzero constant ##m##. It satisfies the hypotheses but not the conclusion.

The textbook writes True, True for the solutions, for whatever that's worth.

My approach was:
Since ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##, ## a(t) = a(0) = 1 ##. Then ## a'(t) = a(1) - 1 = 0 = a'(0) ##.

wintermute++ said:
The textbook writes True, True for the solutions, for whatever that's worth.

My approach was:
Since ## a'(t) = a'(0) ##, ## a(t) = a(0) = 1 ##. Then ## a'(t) = a(1) - 1 = 0 = a'(0) ##.
No. Since ## a'(t) = a'(0) ## then ##a(t) = ta'(0) + C##, and you aren't given ##a(0)=1##.

LCKurtz said:
No. Since ## a'(t) = a'(0) ## then ##a(t) = ta'(0) + C##, and you aren't given ##a(0)=1##.

My bad. ## a(0) = 1 ## for accumulation functions.

LCKurtz said:
wintermute++ said:
My bad. ## a(0) = 1 ## for accumulation functions.

Accumulation functions? Who said anything about accumulation functions, whatever they are? Not good to keep secrets when stating a problem...

LCKurtz said:
Accumulation functions? Who said anything about accumulation functions, whatever they are? Not good to keep secrets when stating a problem...

Miswrote, meant amount function as specified in problem. And sorry, I was lazy and assumed too much of whoever was going to help me.

LCKurtz said:
Apparently the terms amount function and accumulation function come from finance. The accumulation function says how $1 would grow over time. In this problem, the accumulation function ##a(t) = 1+it## corresponds to simple interest. The amount function ##A(t)=K a(t)## is the balance at time ##t## if you start with a principal amount ##K##.

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of a tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which is the difference quotient. This involves taking the limit as the change in the input approaches 0.

3. What is the purpose of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes over time. It is also used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives and slopes?

The derivative of a function is equivalent to the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph. This relationship allows us to use the concepts of slope and lines to better understand derivatives.

5. Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. The derivative can also be positive, indicating that the function is increasing at that point.