1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative problem

1. Sep 8, 2005 #1
    I have this function (to calculate potential for classical over-barrier model if you're wondering) where qp and qt are both (different) particle charges:

V(a,R) = -(qp /R) - [qt / (R-a)]

What is dV/da?

The maximum of the function occurs when dV/da = 0, and I need to solve for a. So does solving for a yield R[1 + sqrt(qt/qp)]^-1?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2
    use the chain rule.
  4. Sep 8, 2005 #3
    Hm... but it has 2 variables. I havent had any multivariable calc.
  5. Sep 8, 2005 #4

try to sketch the function. obviously, the function doesn't have a maximum for any constant R.
    what is the question from the beginning?
  6. Sep 8, 2005 #5
    R and a are not constants, they are the variables. the constants are the q values
  7. Sep 8, 2005 #6
    That isn't necessarily true for multivariable functions. Instead, you need to see when the gradient vector [dV/da, dV/dR] = 0 and use the discriminant to tell what type of critical point it is.
  8. Sep 8, 2005 #7
    the process is the same. just imagine that R isn't a variable, so long as you want to find dV/da.

(the "d's" should be curly, like so: [tex]\partial[/tex])
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?