1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative question help!

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following function of variable r, for r greater or equal to 0.
    y(r)=(r^2-8r)exp(-r)

1. Find the value of the first derivative at r=8.00
    2. Find the value of the second derivative at r=8.00
    3. Find the value of r where y takes its meinimum value in the r is greater or equal to 0 interval
    4. Find the value of r where y takes its maximum value in the r is greater or equal to 0 interval

Please explain how you do it too! I am so lost :(

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2
    looks like you need to take the derivative of the function y(r) and then plug in the values

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3
    I know but I have no idea how to do that, im new to physics so this is all new to me.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4
    This has nothing to do with physics and everything to do with calculus. Have you studied it and have you studied derivatives in particular?

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5
    I have not learned anything about derivatives. My Physics Professor just decides to assign us 3 derivative problems over the weekend on MasteringPhysics :(

7. Oct 21, 2012 #6
    I am not sure what this could possibly mean. If you have not taken any calculus, then you won't be able to solve this problem.

8. Oct 21, 2012 #7
    Is calculus a prerequisite for the physics course? Are you taking algebra based physics or calculus based physics?

9. Oct 21, 2012 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The OP has not shown any effort. I am locking this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook