1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative question

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't exactly a homework question, it's more of a general one. Let's say for example that I have the function f(x) = arcsin((2x/(1+x^2)). I know that arcsin has no derivative at x=1. Does that mean that f also doesn't or to I have to check explicity with a limit? I think that I have to do a limit, is that right? Could someone elaborate on this?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The chain rule says (f(g(x))'=f'(g(x))*g'(x). f' may not have a limit but the product may. In your specific example it does. So yes, you have to check.

4. Jul 30, 2007 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Thanks. But you say that in this case f has a derivative at x=1? I did the limit and got infinity. Is that right?

5. Aug 3, 2007 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Anyone?
    Thanks.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #5
    What is the derivative function you got? I got

[tex]
    f'(x) = \frac{2-2x^2}{(1+x^2)\sqrt{1+2x^2-3x^4}}
    [/tex]

If that is right, then the limit x->1 is non-trivial, but I think I got, using L'Hospital's rule, that it is zero and not infinity.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Factoring the top and bottom of your expression also shows that the "problem" disappears.

8. Aug 3, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that derivative is quite correct. After factoring what I get I'm just left with 2/(1+x^2).

9. Aug 3, 2007 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Until now, I didn't actually do the derivative. I get (with a minus sign) what you have.

10. Aug 3, 2007 #9
    I found the mistake, I had calculated [itex]1 + 2x^2 + x^4 - 4x^2 = 1 + 2x^2 - 3x^4[/itex]

Now I got
    [tex]
    \frac{2}{1+x^2}
    [/tex]
    too, without minus sign though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  11. Aug 4, 2007 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, the sign is bit tricky, which I didn't see until I graphed

[tex]arcsin\left(\frac{2x}{1+x^2}\right).[/tex]

The derivative of this function has a jump discontinuity at [itex]x=1[/itex].

Hint: consider

[tex]\frac{-4}{\sqrt{\left(-4\right)^2}}.[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  12. Aug 4, 2007 #11
    I didn't check the domain earlier, and though that the function would be defined on some interval around origo, but actually the expression

[tex]
    \frac{2x}{1+x^2}
    [/tex]

doesn't get any values outside [itex][-1,1][/itex]. So the function becomes defined for all real numbers.

I took a closer look at the derivative. Isn't it this?

[tex]
    \frac{2(1-x^2)}{|1-x^2|(1+x^2)}
    [/tex]

So there's plus sign when [itex]x\in ]-1,1[[/itex], minus sign when [itex]x\in ]-\infty,-1[\;\cup\; ]1,\infty[[/itex], and the derivative does not exist for [itex]x\pm 1[/itex].

13. Aug 4, 2007 #12

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I took the limit of [tex]\frac{arcsin\left(\frac{2(x+1)}{1+(x+1)^2}\right) - \frac{\pi}{2}}{x}.[/tex] when x goes to 0 and got
    [tex]
    \frac{-2}{1+(x+1)^2}
    [/tex]
    By using L'hopital. It looks like what George got except that instead of x I have x+1. What did I do wrong?
    Thanks

14. Aug 4, 2007 #13
    That limit should not exist. However if take only left handed or right handed limit then you should get either 1 or -1. Do you know which limit you are taking?

If I got this right, then left handed limit should give 1, and right handed limit -1.

I'm not sure if there is a mistake concerning the x+1 term. You must take the limit x->0 in the end, and then you also have x+1 -> 1. You have now inserted an expression x+1 in the place of the old parameter x, so x+1 -> 1 is precisely what you are supposed to have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?