Solve Derivative Question: f'(x) from d/dx (f(2x^4)) = 8x^5

• Thread starter EvilBunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the student is trying to find the equation of a function given its derivative. The problem is that they do not know how to work backwards from the power rule.
EvilBunny

Homework Statement

If d/dx (f(2x^4)) = 8x^5

Calculate f'(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well , we have been only doing derivatives for 2-3 class and its new for me.

From what I understand in this question is.

You have a function f(x) = something
The derivative of this function when you plug in 2x^4 gives you 8x^5
With that i suppose I should be able to find the equation of f(x) and then give f'(x) but I really don't know how to actually do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
well are you finding the derivative of 2x^4 because if you are then it's not 8x^5. It's 8x^3. You use the power rule, which is x^n = nx^n-1

edit: If what your saying is correct then just work backwards from the power rule...

Last edited:
Thats something diffrent the question is already saying

d/dx (f(2x^4) = 8x^5

I understand but if the derivative of a function is 8x^5 can you find the function?

I guess am suppose to find the function but I don't know how. Am I suppose to take the power rule and use it in reverse or something of the sort

well i told you the power rule and you know what the derivative is going to be can't you work backwards to get to your function?

ok so assuming we have to workd backwards the function of 8x^5 would be 1.6x^6

I don't think so b/c 6 times 1.6 will not give you 8...

oh opps took the 5 instead yeah.

so 1.33 x ^ 6

okay so you have the function f(2x^4)= 4/3 x^6. Now you need to find f(x)

there could be numerous possibilities... if you are working backwards...because how will you find constants that equal to zero? they could be anything.
check the back of the book for the answer and see what it really wants.

To me I think it wants.
f(2x^4) = 8x^5 //compute this
Then take the derivative of 8(2x^4)^5.

well its a work we do on the internet and the answers won't be submitted before some date so I guess I'll ask the teacher or other students next class but I still want to keep on trying for now

I agree with pooface b/c the way your really going about the problem just seems complicated for a class that has just started derivatives. Maybe the d/dx was a typo or you misread it. Then you would just do what pooface said by finding that derivative

well in the whole 19 questions only 1-3 are like this. the others a basic , just apply the rules

Which is why i doubt they want you to do this complicated thing they probably just wanted you to sub the x with 2x^4 into 8x^5 and find the derivative

well if I correctly did the derivative of 8(2x^4)^5 it gives me 45(2x^4)*8x^3

but the web thing says the answer is incorrect . wether I simpligy or not

My teacher does like putting in nasty problems sometimes tho. Maybe that's it ? sometimes he writes soemthing partlially and says you will know how next week.

wouldn't your derivative be 5120x^19 not whatever you got

no that is not correct. (to evil bunny)

8*5 is 40 not 45.

Where is the exponent 5-1?

you can multiply the exponents out first if you like.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is represented by f'(x) or dy/dx and can help us understand how a function is changing at a particular point.

How do you solve a derivative question?

To solve a derivative question, you need to use the differentiation rules and techniques to find the derivative of the given function. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

What is the power rule?

The power rule is a differentiation rule that states that the derivative of a function raised to a constant power is equal to the constant multiplied by the original function raised to the power of that constant minus one. In other words, if f(x) = x^n, then f'(x) = nx^(n-1).

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a differentiation rule that is used when a function is composed of multiple functions. It states that the derivative of the composition of two functions is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, if f(x) = g(h(x)), then f'(x) = g'(h(x)) * h'(x).

How do you apply the derivative rule to f'(x) from d/dx (f(2x^4)) = 8x^5?

To solve this derivative question, we can use the chain rule. First, we rewrite the function as f(x) = 2x^4 and g(x) = f(x)^2. Then, we use the power rule to find g'(x) = 8x^3. Finally, we use the chain rule to find f'(x) = 2x^3 * 8x^3 = 16x^6.