Derivative Question: Slope at Point x=4 Explained

• Thread starter Mejiera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: However, the slope of a curve at a specific point can be found by finding the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point. This is known as the derivative of the function at that point. In summary, the slope of a function at a point is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point, and it is found by taking the derivative of the function at that point.
Mejiera

Homework Statement

when you are finding the slope of a fuction at a point, you are finding the slope of that point with respect to what?

I don't understand how the square root function at point x = 4 slope is 1/4 shouldn't its slope be 1/2. please explain

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mejiera said:

Homework Statement

when you are finding the slope of a fuction at a point, you are finding the slope of that point with respect to what?

I don't understand how the square root function at point x = 4 slope is 1/4 shouldn't its slope be 1/2. please explain

Homework Equations

Slope is defined as rise/run, or delta_y/delta_x.

How do you mathematically find the slope of the function SQRT(x) at any given point? Show us the math of taking the derivative of SQRT(x) and plug in x=4. What answer do you get? (Please show your work)

Mejiera said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Let f(x) = x1/2
Then f'(x) = (1/2)/x1/2
f'(4) = ?

The slope is relative to the horizontal axis.

Thank you Berkeman and Mark. I was making a silly mistake in assuming that a slope of a curve is costant throught the entire function. I researched on the difinition the derivative and it made me understand that 1/4 is not the slope of the entire curve, 1/4 is just the slope of a single point on the curve. Thanks again for the replies.

Mejiera said:
Thank you Berkeman and Mark. I was making a silly mistake in assuming that a slope of a curve is costant throught the entire function. I researched on the difinition the derivative and it made me understand that 1/4 is not the slope of the entire curve, 1/4 is just the slope of a single point on the curve. Thanks again for the replies.
More precisely, the 1/4 is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at a single point on the curve. It doesn't make sense to talk about the slope of a point.

True

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how quickly the function is changing at that point.

2. How do you find the slope at a specific point on a graph?

To find the slope at a specific point on a graph, you can use the derivative formula: f'(x) = lim (h->0) (f(x+h) - f(x))/h. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at that point.

3. What does the slope at point x=4 represent?

The slope at point x=4 represents the rate of change of the function at that specific point. It tells us how quickly the function is changing at x=4.

4. How is the slope at point x=4 related to the graph of the function?

The slope at point x=4 is equal to the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at x=4. This tangent line touches the graph of the function at only one point and represents the instantaneous rate of change at that point.

5. What is the significance of finding the slope at point x=4?

Finding the slope at point x=4 allows us to understand the behavior of the function at that specific point. It can help us determine if the function is increasing or decreasing, and how rapidly it is changing at that point.