1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative question

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

when you are finding the slope of a fuction at a point, you are finding the slope of that point with respect to what?

I dont understand how the square root function at point x = 4 slope is 1/4 shouldnt its slope be 1/2. please explain
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Slope is defined as rise/run, or delta_y/delta_x.

How do you mathematically find the slope of the function SQRT(x) at any given point? Show us the math of taking the derivative of SQRT(x) and plug in x=4. What answer do you get? (Please show your work)

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3

Mark44

Let f(x) = x1/2
    Then f'(x) = (1/2)/x1/2
    f'(4) = ?

The slope is relative to the horizontal axis.

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4
    Thank you Berkeman and Mark. I was making a silly mistake in assuming that a slope of a curve is costant throught the entire function. I researched on the difinition the derivative and it made me understand that 1/4 is not the slope of the entire curve, 1/4 is just the slope of a single point on the curve. Thanks again for the replies.

6. Mar 10, 2010 #5

Mark44

More precisely, the 1/4 is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at a single point on the curve. It doesn't make sense to talk about the slope of a point.

7. Mar 11, 2010 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook